What To Buy A Guy For Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It is notoriously hard to buy presents for the male species. Fact.

As a male myself I can hold my hands up to rarely, if ever, giving family or friends any inkling as to my Christmas wish list. I simply let them pull their hair out and panic; I merely observe their desperate endeavour to recall all the things I have previously admired then sit idly by as they attempt to find an appropriate equivalent present … and finally … they settle for a shower gel set anyway. But, put the Nivea gift set down!

I am writing this for anyone who has ever struggled to buy a guy the ideal Christmas present. Whether it’s your Dad, your brother, your partner or even just a housemate, this is the definitive list of gift ideas for a man. Based loosely on what I actually want for Christmas (should I ever get round to writing that elusive Christmas wish list), the following provides ideas for…

1.      Something to Use…

If you’re willing to splash the extra cash, then a premium leather gift is perfect. We’re in the age of technology and it’s likely all the males in your life possess a phone, so a leather phone case is both useful and smart. Aspinals of London are not the only suppliers of luxury gifts for men, there are thousands of websites that sell high quality leather wallets, belts, travel accessories or gadget cases… and if you want to go the extra mile, why not personalise it.  

(Leather gifts from www.aspinaloflondon.com or www.restorationhardware.com)

2.      Something to Listen to…

Headphones and speakers are a great gift for males of any age – providing they actually enjoy and appreciate listening to music, (I added this codicil to stem the rush of readers writing in to say their 2 year old brother was not impressed with the Bang and Olufsen headphones).  In terms of brands I recommend, House of Marley manufacture quality speakers and headphones, whilst also supporting the Marley family charitable organisation, 1Love. So you’re ticking gifts off your list whilst doing something worthwhile. How gratifying is that.

(Navy Chant Mini Portable Speaker from www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk )

3.      Something to Wear…

This may seem a bit of a cop out, however as far as I’m aware it’s still socially unacceptable for males to be walking around in public without clothes. I also can’t imagine your male recipient wanting to sit down for their long awaited Christmas dinner in their newly opened vest and shorts, so why not treat them to a smart Christmas jumper or a flash new shirt. Alternatively, you can avoid offending them by buying the wrong size clothes, and just buy them a new scarf.

(Homewood Placement Half-neck Jumper and Earthy Stripe Scarf from www.fatface.com).

4.      Something to Watch…

We have all experienced those nights where there is absolutely nothing on TV worth watching. There are plenty of awesome movies released in time for Christmas to ensure you never need a board game night again.  Alternatively, you could get him hooked on a TV Series with plenty of badass boxsets. It is important to note there are no tiny Christmas elves, chipmunks or small children home alone in my selection below.

(DVDs and Boxsets available from www.hmv.com)

5.      Something to Play with…

We are all just fully grown juveniles. I can’t speak on behalf of all men everywhere, but when my housemate and I are bored of writing essays, we always end up throwing the rugby ball or kicking the football around the living room. The following options are much safer and more enjoyable options. They can also be lots of fun with family members over the Christmas period, if the male in question agrees to share!

(Nerf guns and snap it game available at www.argos.com)

6.      Something Novelty…

If none of the above seem appropriate and hysteria is once again setting in, then (1) your male recipient really has not given you any clues and (2) you’re in trouble. However, you can always turn to the trusty humorous stocking fillers, the gifts we never knew we needed or wanted, every guy loves receiving novelty gifts.  

I have intentionally left out the “Something to Eat” category as I am assuming you all have that covered.  Nothing green.

Yes I admit this article may have just been an elaborate hint for my own family and friends, but there is only so long a guy can act shocked, surprised and overwhelmed about receiving boxers and a Lynx Africa gift set.

Merry Christmas.   

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!