The Whaletail Café Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Tucked away up the stairs on the side of Penny Street, one of Lancaster’s vegetarian cafés could be quite easy to miss.

Given the quiet area, it was a perfect spot for lunch after having my fill of shopping with my mum and sister who had come to visit for the day.

Despite not having had the opportunity to visit in my first year at university, I had heard a lot of positive reports about their food and was definitely not disappointed. We were surprised to see how busy the lunch service was, considering it was mid-week and term-time.

Both the specials board and main menu gave us plenty to choose from, consisting of various vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.

The three of us all opted to order from the specials board.

My sister and I chose the falafel with pitta bread, salad and tzatziki.

My Mum chose the tomato and aubergine bake, served with salad and topped with feta cheese.

The portions were big, the food was reasonably priced, between £6 to £7, and the service was prompt.

Unfortunately, the wintry weather didn’t persuade us to sit outside on the terrace, something which I’m sure would be lovely in the summer months. This is definitely a place I would both recommend and be sure to revisit, maybe next time to try one of their many breakfast options.

Rating: 9/10

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.