Weekend Winners, not Weekend Woes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly dreaming of where your next adventure will take you. Like many other budding explorers, you may feel yourself being faced with a few trepidations; flight expenses, flight delays, language barriers, painful vaccinations and even a bout of homesickness.Well, have no fear! I’ve discovered a solution to avoid all these pitfalls and still have an awesome time. Why not have a staycation in the UK?

There are loads of fun and exciting weekend breaks to be had in the UK for every style and taste; from Glamping with friends in elegant lodges to romantic getaways in stunning Treehouse suites, whether you fancy exploring the top of the food chain and getting up close and personal with sharks or the bottom of the food chain and gorging on beautiful, well-cooked seafood; I have you covered.  

With the Pals

•  Mill Farm Glamping – It’s the girls-only getaway, a distinct lack of testosterone and an overload of all things girly at the exquisite lodges found at Mill Farm in Wiltshire. You and your friends can embrace long nights around the log burning fire, putting the world to rights or just catching up on the latest gossip or even cherishing wonderful memories roaming and exploring the scenic Wiltshire countryside; with a choice of bikes for the active or on foot for the more sedate. Each charming canvas lodge sleeps six and the Farm boasts magnificent facilities on site.

• Coworth Park Hotel – Have you and your friends ever talked about sneaking away for a well-deserved weekend of pampering, relaxation and, most importantly, lots of TLC? Well Coworth Park is the break for you, with a wide choice of luxury treatments available in the spa, you’ll return home feeling re-invented, re-energised and rejuvenated. Relax with friends in the exquisite, contemporary suites available.  If this weekend isn’t on your bucket list, well it definitely should be!  It needs to be somewhere near the top of your list and maybe before the skydiving or bungee jumping experiences. 

With the Partner

• Chewton Glen Treehouses – The only difficulty with this holiday suggestion is persuading your partner they should whisk you away to this romantic venue whilst letting them think they thought of the whole idea themselves.  Don’t despair, it can be done, oh and the results are well worth the planning, but that’s the subject of another article! You will both have a weekend to remember in these idyllic treehouse suites in the New Forest of Hampshire. A lot of thought has gone into the design of this accommodation to create a romantic weekend break for couples; with mood lighting and outdoor hot tub.  Imagine waking up and sharing the view from your tree canopy in a wooded valley – and that’s only the start of the day!  Surely this should be high on my bucket list I hear you ask?  No. This one should be high on your partner’s bucket list, so get working on it! It’s a tad expensive but you’re worth it.
  • Dartmouth Food Festival – Another fascinating and unique experience must be the colours, smells and tastes of the Dartmouth Food festival. Explore the wonders of superb, expertly cooked food, helpful and enjoyable cooking demonstrations and a huge selection of food markets combined with appearances from celebrity chefs.  Enjoy all this whilst staying at the popular Fingals Folly and Balcony Gite Suite nearby.  This is definitely for those with a huge appetite for life … or just a huge appetite!

To be honest it is very difficult to come up with a shortlist of top places to go in the UK.  In fact it’s a very very long list. I have scoured the country for places which avoid flight expenses, flight delays, language barriers and painful vaccinations; a task not for the faint hearted.  You just have to get out there and do the homework; a word close to all your hearts! As for being homesick, I have a strong feeling you will not want to head home for a long time!  Enjoy.   

My name is Hannah Hobson and I am currently studying English Language at Lancaster University with an ambition to become a fashion journalist.