We Love When: Celebrities are on Gogglebox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

There is no doubt that Gogglebox is already a Friday-night highlight, with millions of us tuning in to see our favourite sofa critics each week voicing the hilarious and brutally honest opinions and verdicts of every household up and down the country. But two Fridays ago Gogglebox’s special Stand Up to Cancer episode treated us with four new celebrity households, proving that even the rich, the famous, and the somewhat known spend their evenings ogling the TV screen like the rest of us.  

50 Shades actor Jamie Dornan sat with comedic acting friend Nick Frost. Miranda Hart and her ‘two’ mums, on-screen mother Patricia Hodge and real mum Diane ‘D’ Hart-Dyke and musical friends Boy George, Geri Halliwell and Marilyn (for those who don’t know, he was a singer in the 80s) lead the celebrity guests, as well as featuring Not Going Out’s Lee Mack and Bobby Ball.

The regular sofa stars (noticeably missing fan favourites Steph and Dom), as always gave us the funny honest reviews that we expect from Gogglebox. However, the celebrities’ remarks probably won’t have you laughing out loud getting an ab workout but instead leave you with a warm smile and a chuckle or two. That being said, we seem to enjoy having their presence along side our own, weirdly infatuated by the fact that they’re being normal. Many of us were probably sat watching the episode with pizzas and takeaways much like Jamie and Nick. Or we can all recall conversations much like Miranda’s, where our more senior family members insist on having their phones turned off and only owning them “just in case”, a concept that seems to throw us ‘youngsters’ off!

The celebrity special allowed us to see inside the celebs’ homes, satisfying us nosey viewers, and contained quotes like “I don’t like cats, I don’t trust them. What do they do all day?” from Jamie Dornan to “if she dropped that in Marks and Spencer’s they’d of given her a voucher” Viv Woerdenweber chimed in when watching a Guanaco give birth. The episode was filled with laughter- albeit arguably not as funny as previous Gogglebox episodes- and some heartbreaking moments. While the celebrity contributions are enjoyable to watch, the scenes and reminders of the harsh reality for families suffering with cancer is exactly why these charity episodes are made in the first place. The celebrity Stand Up to Cancer episode is definitely worth a watch, catch up now on All 4!

You can donate to Stand Up to Cancer by texting give £10 or £5 to 70404, online at channel4.com/SU2C or by calling 0300 123 444.

Lancaster University English Language in the Media student. Seem to have a high interest in all things pop culture, social media and the trivial...
English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland