This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

5. Rec (2007) Spain

Plot : A young reporter and her cameraman are making a documentary whilst covering the night shift at the local fire station. They receive a call from an old lady trapped inside her house. She lives in a building which is closed due to an infection, they reach the scene and are welcomed by horrifying screams.

Why you need to watch it: This film will have you on the edge of your seat, the documentary effect makes it a really jumpy, horror film. A perfect one to watch this halloween!

4. Alone (2007) Thailand

Plot :  This Thai horror film features a set of conjoined twins and when one mysteriously dies, she comes back to haunt her surviving sister. It was the inspiration behind the 2015 Hindi remake ‘Alone’. 

Why you need to watch it: It has a great amount of suspense throught and an unexpected ending. 

3. Ju-On (2002) Japan

Plot:  The original horror to the American remake of the Grudge and the third in the instalment of the Japanese horror franchise JU-ON. This Japanese movie stars Rika as a young woman in Japan who takes care of an old woman named Sachie. While she is at the house, Rika finds a young boy named Toshio. She becomes aware of a curse, that if anyone who enters the house will be killed by the spirit of Kayako. Rika must get herself out of the curse before it’s too late.

Why you need to watch it:  If you’re looking for a movie that’ll make your stomach actually turn, this is one for you!

2. Let the right one in (2008) Sweden

Plot : Based on the best selling novel and the inspiration for the American remake “Let me In”, this Swedish film is centred around Oskar, a 12 year old outcast in his community. He was bullied and dreams of revenge, he also happens to fall in love with Eli, a peculiar girl. She doesn’t like the sun or food and for her to walk into a room she needs to be invited. Eli gives Oskar the companionship he needs however, Oskar soon realises that Eli needs to drink other people’s blood to live, he’s faced with a choice.   

Why you need to watch it: A vampire movie that is unlike any other that you’ve seen,  coupled with visually stunning scenes as well as two incredible child actors who are simultaneously cute and yet disturbing, you’ll love their eerie romance as well as the gore.

1. El Orfanato (2007) Spain

Plot:  As a child Laura spent many happy years at an Orphanage located by the Spanish coast. 30 years later, Laura returns to the orphanage with her husband Carlos and son Simon. When Simon goes missing Laura only begins to discover the mysteries that she left behind when she left the orphanage.

Why you need to watch it: A classic ghost story that begins to unfold as the movie goes on. You’ll love the incredible acting and eerie music, as well as the plot twists that play on your psyche until the very end!

Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling