This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

2014 is just around the corner, and what better way to start the New Year than by switching up your usual beauty looks and trying something a little bit different. We all talk about getting a ‘fresh start’ when January rolls around, so why not freshen up your look with these simple yet gorgeous styles?

Here, I am going to talk you through five of the top make-up, hair and nail trends of the year, as seen on the spring/summer 2014 catwalks.

1. Bright Make-up. There was a colour explosion on the catwalks this year, with designers from Marc Jacobs, John Galliano and DKNY all sending models out with bright and bold looks. The trick here is to pick one feature to brighten up, either your lips or eyes, and keep the rest of your face fairly neutral. You don’t want to over-do it, and end up trying to rock a clown look! Marc Jacobs and Badgley Mischka chose the eyes, giving them a swipe of bright blue shadow. Like the 1980s, but a lot more chic! Over at DKNY, John Galliano and Rag and Bone, it was the mouth that stood out, with models pouting their way down the catwalk with bright orange lips. Check out Maybelline and MAC for a great range of bright and beautiful colours. 

[pagebreak]

2. Natural Make-up. Almost the opposite of the previous trend, this is a look for those who prefer their make-up a little more pared down. The Au Naturel trend was a big hit with designers such as Balmain and Alexander Wang, who simply used a tiny bit of concealer and mascara on their models. For those who aren’t comfortable going completely bare-faced (including myself!) you can fake the natural look. Emilio Pucci, amongst others, favoured natural tones, using nudes, browns and pinks to create a gorgeous fresh faced look. 

[pagebreak]

3. Ponytails. This ponytail trend is a life saver for hair that may be a little worse for wear the morning after the night before! Since day old hair is much easier to style, this look is perfect for when you don’t have the time (or just plain can’t be bothered) to wash it. Vera Wang went for a sporty look, adding a headband to her low slung ponytails. Jason Wu also went for a low pony, adding a middle parting for a smooth and sleek look. Pamela Rolland upped the glamour stakes with a 1960s style side pony, complete with fully backcombed, bouffant roots and sexy smudged eyeliner. Christian Siriano also took the pony in to night time, with a big, messy ponytail that sat high up the models heads, giving an undone and cool, yet totally fabulous look. Try mixing this look up by wrapping a piece of braided hair around the hair band, and securing underneath the pony with a grip.

[pagebreak]

4. Braids. Braids and plaits are an easy and versatile way to brighten up any beauty look. A messy braid is a perfect summer look, whereas a sleek plait can be a classy and fun twist on an evening up-do. The spring/summer 2014 shows were full of slightly undone, romantic looking braids. Rebecca Minkoff used braided headbands on her models by plaiting the hair in three or four plaits and draping them over the head for a perfect girly summer wedding/garden party look. Rachel Zoe’s braid was slightly cooler, with her models wearing a chunky plaited pony for a gorgeously messy look. Oscar De La Renta smoothed up the plait, giving his models a long French braid which was brightened up by beautiful flowers attached to the hair.  

[pagebreak]

5. Nail Art. Nail art has been a massive trend over the last few years and is showing no signs of going anywhere anytime soon. For this year however, nail art is growing up. The bright garish colours and cartoon images seem to have gone, and are being replaced by clean lines and more neutral colours. Designers such as Jenni Kayne and Lela Rose sent their models out with nude toned half-moon nails. This year the trend also went luxe, with Giles encrusting his models’ nails with Swarovski crystals and Marc Jacobs favouring studded tips. Both of these looks are so easy to replicate and don’t have to cost a bomb either! Simply dot tiny crystals (which you’ll be able to buy from craft or sewing shops for next to nothing) on to wet nails in whatever shape or pattern you like.

Zoe Thomas

Lancaster

Third year Media and Cultural Studies student at Lancaster University, with ambitions to go on to a career in PR. Love to write about anything fashion and beauty related! twitter.com/ZoeeT_xo
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx