Surviving University: 3 Healthy And Yummy Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Cooking is a must have skill at university. We all need to know how to do something that makes us and our tummies happy! So, be ready for some easy and amazingly delicious recipes.

1. I hope you are a seafood lover as much as I am, especially when it comes to Tiger King Prawns. How posh does it sound, and it tastes that way, too. I was inspired by Bella Italia restaurant where they serve a la ‘Gamberoni’ pasta. So, here is my own uni-ish interpretation of this dish. The ingredients are simple:

–         peeled and cooked prawns

–         chopped onion

–         1 table spoon of Olive oil

–         3 table spoons of freshly squeezed tomatoes ( or tomato sauce)

–         spices: salt, pepper, and whichever other, I used Cajun

–         spaghetti

–         spinach or any other greens

Put spaghetti into boiling water and cook for good 8-15 minutes depending on the pasta type. Do the same with the prawns for just 3 minutes. Place the ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat in the following sequence: oil, onion, prawns and spaghetti. Add tomatoes and season with salt and Cajun. Simmer and serve. Finally, sprinkle chopped spinach all over the pasta and enjoy.

2. A snack that will be loved by many of you, I bet. You know when you are just craving crispy potato chips? There is a brand new healthy solution to that, spinach chips! All you need is:

–         baby spinach

–         olive oil

–         salt or any other spices 

–         baking sheet

Make sure you washed and dried the spinach, then toss it in olive oil and sprinkle the spices all over. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and put it inside for a good 8 minutes. Now you can eat your chips as much as you want with no harm to your health. Spinach provides our organism with vitamins, minerals, protein and iron, which is good for our body, hair and bone health. Therefore, don’t you dare miss the opportunity to munch on these fabulous chips!

3. Alright, alright it’s time to spoil our tummies with some yum-yum pancakes! Easy to make milky pancakes won’t take a lot of your precious time. All of the ingridients might be in your fridge already, so get ready to use them. We will need:

–         500 ml of whole milk

–         300 gr of flour

–         3 eggs

–         2 table spoons of sugar

–         1 tea spoon of salt

–         1 table spoon of vegetable oil

–         butter for the pan

Beat the eggs in the bowl and add half of the milk. Gradually add flour, the rest of the milk and other ingredients whisking until smooth.  Leave it for 15 minutes. Oil or butter the pan and preheat it on medium. Using a large spoon pour the liquid into the pan making thin circular shapes. When it turns golden, flip the pancake, and cook each side for about 1 minute. YAY, when you end up with a mountain of pancakes, add some yogurt or jam and berries. I love it with raspberries.

I wish you all a productive Michaelmas term and do not forget to treat yourself! 

England | Multilingual marketing student at Lancaster University | LUMS ambassador |  Content writer |    
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!