This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Spring has officially sprung in Lancaster. The campus ducks are busy making campus ducklings, the fields are full of flowers again, and the weather is finally mild enough to put away our raincoats and treat ourselves to some new spring fashion. We’ve written a handy list of the top 3 spring and summer trends with tips on how to rock them.

Wild West:

Spring and summer fashion is all about festival vibes, so every year designers up and down the country break out the tassels and attach them to every single shirt, skirt and dress they can get their hands on, because what else says hot summer of love than the classic boho tassel? Yet they seem to forget the obvious issue: while at the likes of Coachella the tassels channel cool western chic, in Britain, they drag though the muddy festival dirt, get tangled in the wind and end up looking like a bunch of rats’ tails. But never fear, for this year we have been treated to whole host of western accessories with not a tassel in sight. Think burnished silver bangles, black cord necklaces and rose gold earrings. This trend works at its best when layering statement pieces with smaller, daintier ones: long pendant necklaces with a dainty choker; stacked rings of differing metals and sizes; vintage scarves tied around the neck.

Statement shirt:

Bold prints are everywhere this summer, whether it be in the form of Topshop’s floral assortment of high-neck shirts or Warehouse’s city chic collection. Pair yours with your fave pair of skinny jeans for daytime casual or with an A line skirt to continue to channel the popular 70’s trend (long may it reign supreme). The boyfriend shirt is the top choice for many designers at the moment; roll the sleeves up and wear with a super low neckline to achieve that laid back look.

Pinafores:

Who doesn’t love a bit of nostalgia? Everyone rocked the pinafore when they were a child (probably paired with a pair of outrageously colourful tights and an alice band), so the rebirth of this classic dress channels the cute and innocence of those years gone by. Stick to the black corduroy options on sale up and down the high street for a versatile day-to-night look, or go cute and preppy with a checked print paired with a plain turtleneck. For those of you wanting to take the preppy trend further, oliveclothing.com have a beautiful range of pleated skirts, cute printed blouses and embroidered dresses.

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland