This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

That’s it. We are officially broken up from University for the most festive four weeks of the year. And while you dance the nights away to Beyonce’s brand new album (what else say’s ‘Merry Christmas’ like the Queen of pop updating our iTunes in the countdown to the New Year?!), I want to know what you’ll be wearing.

As I’m away from Lancaster, this week’s fashion column will be pointing you in the direction of the best sale hotspots.

I hope you enjoy my post, filled with my favourite embellished items, the fluffiest of jumpers and party-ready gear…

*And a heads up, if you fancy updating your wardrobe but without heading to the shops, my fabulous fashion co-columnist Chloe has some amazing ideas and tips for customizing your basics.

Topshop has pretty much nailed all of the mega trends this winter…

Many of these things have been halved in price since Christmas so get them while you can. I’d advise investing in something that’s maybe more expensive: it will be a great deal cheaper in the sale and you will still have the fabulous full price quality.

This ASOS top was £65 and is now just £39. It’s guaranteed to catch the eye and is so wearable with your black skinnies or disco pants. You’ll also save money on the jewellery front as I can’t see where you’d fit any more bling…

These TOPSHOP boots are so versatile and are reduced from £78 down to £35.

To a Christmas party, I wore my friend Cat’s playsuit (pictured which she bought in a Zara sale. I felt so good with my legs out and coat on; it’s what you see in all the magazines, but it always seems a bit silly at first- ‘I know it’s cold, but my legs won’t feel it?!’ Cat went for a backless dress and her fur jacket; hopefully our sparkle shone through more in real life than the picture shows.

For New Year’s Eve, you can never go too far wrong with a bit of glitz, and I’d recommend to you daring ones to bear your pins as well. Yes, it may be January, but it’s likely wherever you go will end up being so packed you probably won’t feel the cold anyway. Add some cute frilly socks to your favourite heels, or opt for heeled boots (usually my choice!) to keep your toes warm! I would also suggest you forget the fake tan this year. Keep your legs smooth and moisturized for the days leading up to the big night with some thick Body Shop body butter and they will glow whatever shade they may be! Far more effortless glamour than streaky legs…

Coats are also a great thing to invest in while prices are down and Christmas money is up. You may feel a stab of pain paying that fateful pound for the cloakroom, but trust me, a coat adds allure and class to your dress and will keep away the extra chill. A long coat that comes past your dress or skirt will not make you look like a flasher so long as you keep it undone; this also makes sure none of your outfit goes unseen!

I would recommend River Island for their great discounted coats. From boyfriend coats to cropped faux fur jackets, 117 different coats and jackets fill their ‘sale’ page so I’d say get in there while they’re hot. This gorgeous long black faux fur coat hits so many of this season’s biggest trends and is just £50 compared to its previous £100. But let’s face it, £50 is no Primark fiver, so bear in mind a classic coat in a simple style and plain colour is a much safer investment than a loud coat which is so high-fashion that by next year it will be old news.

So that’s all from me for now, but do keep up with my favourite looks spotted on Alexandra Square once I get back to Lancaster. I can’t wait to see all your stocking fillers and sale splurges on the catwalk we all know as ‘The Spine’.

I hope you all had wonderful holidays and enjoyed seeing in 2014 with family, friends and a New Year’s kiss! I’ll be sure to post what I end up wearing in early January!

Floss.

English Language student who loves fashion, blogging and working hard to bag my ideal career in consumer PR.