This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Following on from the 1964 classic, the sequel, Mary Poppins Returns, definitely had a lot to live up to. I often find sequels to be quite disappointing and they can elongate the story for the sake of doing so, but I don’t think this was the case for this new release. The predominately new cast and sensible follow-on storyline made the basis for a great follow-on, 55 years later.Image from Variety 

Emily Blunt plays the role of Mary Poppins, the practically perfect nanny who returns to 1930s London. The original children, Michael and Jane, are now all grown up, and we are introduced to Michael’s three children and housekeeper, played by Julie Walters.Following family loss and hardship, Mary Poppins brings much needed joy back to the family’s life and takes the children on a journey to meet some of her friends, including her crazy cousin, played by Meryl Streep.

Image from Slash Film 

Whilst Streep’s character was an entertaining addition to the cast, it did feel a bit like she was in the film for being in the film’s sake. Without giving too much away, a visit to her house was intended to resolve a family crisis, but after the film finished, her assistance was not addressed and it came across as a bit of a hole in the plot.

Image from Vulture

That being said, with new original songs and an ode to the past with the original melodies never far from the background, the film was always destined to be great, in my eyes. The return of Dick Van Dyke was also appreciated, with the man himself showing that he can still pull off a few dance moves. 

Image from Irish Examiner 

Overall, the film exceeded my expectations. I did anticipate the full inclusion of an original song from the first film as this would have been the icing on the cake. Nonetheless, if you want to go and see an uplifting, family friendly film, then get yourself to your nearest cinema.

Rating: 9/10

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.