Remembering the Best of the Worst of UK Eurovision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

With the selection for the United Kingdom’s Eurovision 2018 entry finalised (Congratulations Surie!), I thought it might be nice to take a little trip down memory lane and look at some of the best UK Eurovision entries (in my opinion) of recent years, starting from the millennium.

(Image from TheExpress.co.uk)

It’s no surprise to anyone when I say that UK entries haven’t always charted very well in the contest *coughs* Gemini *coughs*, but that doesn’t mean all of our entries have been awful. In fact, we’ve had some quite catchy tracks over the years!

Here are a few that have perhaps been overlooked or underrated:

1. Lucie Jones, “Never Give Up On You” (2017)

A previous X Factor contestant, Lucie Jones, represented the UK last year with this immensely powerful ballad. With an inspirational message, a beautiful melody and Lucie’s breath-taking voice, this has to be one of our best entries to date. It deserved better!

2. Joe and Jake, “You’re Not Alone” (2016)

Known for appearing on The Voice UK, Joe and Jake gave it their all with this track in 2016. The energy of the song and the catchy lyrics are guaranteed to have you singing along! Also, it carries a really heart-warming message of unity and support, “You’re not alone, we’re in this together.”

3. Molly Smitten-Downes, “Children of the Universe” (2014)

Molly’s “Children of the Universe” entry is positively brimming with culture, from the rhythm and beat, to the aesthetics of the video itself. With a message of togetherness and empowerment, this original song continues to resonate 4 years on.

4. Blue, “I Can” (2011)

How can I compile a list and not include Blue’s Eurovision entry? The boyband reunited in 2011, celebrating their tenth anniversary and bringing us this addictive song that immediately has you hooked, with its easy lyrics and upbeat melody, though the staging on the night was perhaps a little cheesy…! “I Can” promotes a positive message for everyone to remember, “I can, I will… get back up again.”​

5. Jade Ewen, “It’s My Time” (2009)

Composed and written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Diane Warren, “It’s My Time” is the UK’s highest ranked song in the contest in the last ten years, placing fifth. Featuring powerful vocals and a calming melody, with moments of grandeur, it’s not difficult to see why it was such a hit across Europe.

6. Daz Sampson, “Teenage Life” (2006)

The first time the UK sent a track which included rap elements, Daz Sampson’s “Teenage Life” is a very catchy song, and particularly appealed to the younger generation. A definite throwback, I remember really liking this as a 9 year old!

7. Jessica Garlick, “Come Back” (2002)

Still the highest UK placing in Eurovision since the millennium, “Come Back” came (joint) third in 2002. This song still holds up as a great entry, filled with nostalgia (for me anyway). Won’t you come back please Jessica and get us Britons a long awaited win?!​

Not having won Eurovision since Katrina and the Waves in 1997, will this year’s UK entry, Surie’s “Storm”, get us any closer to victory?

(Image from TheSun.co.uk)

Check out the first live performance of “Storm” on Eurovision: You Decide 2018 and be sure to tune into the Eurovision 2018 final on May 12! There’s a date for your calendar!

Also, to those who watched Eurovision: You Decide 2018 on Wednesday, how great of a duo were Mel Giedroyc and Eurovision 2015 winner, Mans Zelmerlow as co-hosts?! Can we have them presenting together every year please?

Studying English Language and Literature at Lancaster University