Is Reality TV Dead And Buried?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Has anyone else found themselves watching this year’s Big Brother and thought it is not the slightest bit entertaining? Well I for one certainly have, along with my five housemates.

Back in the early 2000’s when reality TV shows such as- Big Brother, X Factor, I’m a Celeb and Britain’s Got Talent all burst onto the scene they were new and a refreshing concept.

I now find a lot of these shows cringe worthy and repetitive. The first five seasons of Big Brother averaged over 5 million UK viewers and since the show has moved to Channel 5 that number has decreased to under 1.8 million.

With statistics like these, we are left wondering whether reality shows, such as Big Brother, are on their way out and struggling to compete for viewers.

The kings of reality TV still to this day are ITV, airing Britain’s three most popular reality TV shows. This made me to think why have ITV got the formula so right, yet other channels seem to be faltering.

After much contemplation, it occurred to me that Britain’s favourite comedy duo could be the reason for these shows staying afloat. Ant and Dec have been ITV’s crown jewels for years and the viewing figures which they pull in explain precisely why.

Ever watched an episode of I’m a Celeb and you find yourself sat there realising that nothing has happened? Although you still find yourself chuckling away at every single one of duo’s poor jokes?

It is extremely hard to imagine shows such as I’m a Celeb or Britain’s Got Talent without them.  Never mind imagine a future for the shows when the pair decide to call it a day.

With Dermot O’Leary stepping down as X-Factor host, another new face is set to hit our screens. After eight years as X-factor’s funny, cute guy we will certainly miss his polished intro twirl and overall exemplary performance. Could this possibly be the end of an era for X-factor fans?

Has it come to the point where we no longer watch reality TV because there are too many options? Or is it simply that it’s repetitive and all reality TV shows are merging into an equivalent of dated daytime TV?

I personally believe it is a mixture of the two and that once one reality TV show falls, the rest shall follow. Although that does not look like happening just yet as we’ve got to endure at least another two months of Big Brother and Rylan’s duck pout, orange tan and overly-gelled hair.

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland