Pancake Day: Do you know The Pancake Man?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

We all know that popular nursery rhyme..

Do you know The Pancake Man

The Pancake Man?

The Pancake Man.

Do you know the Pancake Man?

He lives in Lancaster Market and sometimes travels to Alex Square.

OK, maybe it’s not that catchy..

Many of you may have spotted The Pancake Man at the campus Farmers’ Market (if you haven’t where have you been?!) Like me,you may have even sampled a delicious Nutella and banana pancake on World Nutella Day last week (even though I’m 99% sure that’s totally made up).  Whether you know The Pancake Man or not, I’m sure you’ll be delighted to hear that in the run-up to the divine beauty which is Pancake Day, we at Her Campus Lancaster have got an exclusive interview with the man (well, men) himself (well, themselves): the long-haired brothers, Andrew and Lee!

Can you tell us a bit about the history of The Pancake Man?

Our tenth birthday is at the end of March! We started on Lancaster Market (we were the first stall on there selling hot food) and we didn’t have a business name. Over time, students kept calling us “Pancake Man” and the name just stuck. In the end, we decided we may as well just go with it! So we were actually named by Lancaster University students!

What do you think is the best topping for a pancake?

Definitely Nutella. Or perhaps sugar & lemon. Though cheese & ham with chilli and pepper is excellent. Then again, Cadbury’s Buttons and banana is always good. Maybe Milky Bar if you’ve got the white chocolate feeling.

(I don’t know about you, but I want to try all of the things.)

Will you be doing anything special for Pancake Day this year?

Pancake Day to us is what Christmas Day is to Santa. We will be working. We will be in Alex Square from early until late.

(We’ve got it marked in our diaries!)

What makes your pancakes the best?

It’s kind of you to say so, and if they are the best, then it is down to ten years experience and a lot of practice!

Where can we get more of your delicious pancakes?

We are in Lancaster Market Square most Saturdays and we will be on campus on Tuesday 17th Feb, Thursday 19th Feb and Thursday 12th March. The best way to find out where we will be is to like us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pancake-Man/131884026833152?sk=timeline). Just search for The Pancake Man Lancaster.

Naomi-Jayne is a 20-year-old student at Lancaster University, majoring in English Language and Linguistics. She's passionate about animals, with an eclectic mix of pets back at home at her picturesque Suffolk smallholding, and loves to spend time relaxing with her boyfriend and her large family. Njay is looking towards a career in advertising and publicity.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!