burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Oscars: Best Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Lupita N’Yongo

Not only did Lupita N’Yongo win best supporting actress for her role in the incredibly moving ’12 Years A Slave’, she also won best dressed at this year’s Oscars as soon as she landed on the red carpet. Lupita lived all of our fairy tale dreams by floating down the catwalk in pastel blue, princess-like, Prada. The custom gown was kept minimal by accessorising with only a thin, simple headband. Until this, I never knew it was possible to fall in love with a dress. Anyone else feeling slightly (massively) envious?

[pagebreak]

Jennifer Lawrence

As Jennifer Lawrence stepped out – or fell onto – the red carpet, we were instantly in awe. The ‘Hunger Games’ and ‘American Hustle’ actress was looking red hot and this wasn’t due to flowing material and different textures or colours. Instead, the actress stripped it back and clearly got the memo of keeping it minimal, as she proudly wore her red, figure-hugging Dior dress, with only one single diamante necklace. She sure lived up to her role as The Girl on Fire.

[pagebreak]

Kate Hudson

The Oscars celebrate the talent that is on offer in Hollywood and Kate Hudson reminded us of this in her Versace gown. This look shows us nothing but traditional Hollywood glamour. The elegant actress sauntered down the carpet in her satin gown, featuring a plunge neck and a cape with beaded detail. 

[pagebreak]

Olivia Wilde

In my eyes, Olivia Wilde was a serious contender for the best dressed spot. She may not be as renowned as Jennifer or Lupita at this very minute, but this American actress turned heads as she walked down the red carpet in a simple monochrome dress with backless and turtleneck detail. We can’t help but applaud this choice of dress as it radiates elegance and brilliantly shows off her growing baby bump. Best dressed in the pregnant actress category? We think so.

[pagebreak]

Pharrell and Helen Lasichanh

So the last article I wrote regarding another red carpet event was for The Grammy Awards, where Pharrell just had to be mentioned due to his questionable yet fabulous hat. Well, here he is again. This time, it was not for all the right reasons. As Pharrell and his wife strolled down the red carpet, we couldn’t help but think: Is their attire an attempt at the suited and booted look that we saw Brad and Angelina pull off at the Baftas? Was it the choice of shorts Pharrell wore? Or was it Helen Lasichanh’s white blazer? Even though this ensemble may have disappointed a few of us, I think we can all ignore this little faux-pas and still think of Pharrell Williams as one of the most effortlessly cool gentlemen of all time. 

My name is Hannah Hobson and I am currently studying English Language at Lancaster University with an ambition to become a fashion journalist.