Latte Art
Latte Art
Kelsey Emery / Spoon

Moo-ve Over Cow’s Milk: The Best Dairy-Free Milks On the Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

The popularity of non-dairy milks has rocketed over the past few years. People are buying cow’s milk alternatives for a number of reasons, whether it be for dietary requirements or trying to be more environmentally sustainable. But, with the increased demand has come an increased number of products available…from soy, to almond, and even tigernut milk?! With so many alternatives available, which one should you choose? Here’s a list of my four favourite kinds of dairy-free milk and a brand suggestion for each too!

Oat Milk

By far the milk I use the most – naturally sweet and creamy, oat milk is great to use in coffees and milkshakes. It has about half the protein of cow’s milk, but also half the fat. Its flavour isn’t too overpowering so if you’re new to using dairy alternatives, this is a good one to try first.

Personal favourite: Oatly Barista Edition

Coconut Milk

Coconut milk is my go-to for hot chocolates, mochas and smoothies. It may contain a third of the calories of cow’s milk, however it does contain minimal protein. If you like a hint of coconut flavour in your drinks and can easily get your protein from other sources, this is for you.

Personal favourite: Alpro Coconut

Cashew Milk

A slightly less common dairy alternative, I like to use cashew milk in baking and as a base for creamy pasta sauces! Similar to coconut milk, it may contain fewer than a third of the calories of cow’s milk and half the fat, but also significantly less protein.

Personal favourite: Alpro Cashew

Almond Milk

Possibly one of the most well-known alternative milks, almond milk is pretty easy to get your hands on and is offered in most coffee shops now. I quite like to make porridge with almond milk, but personally don’t love it in coffee as it’s quite overpowering. However, it is one of the lowest calorie dairy-free milks and although it also has little protein, it does naturally contain vitamin E and magnesium.

Personal favourite: Rude Health Ultimate Almond

A final note: most alternative milks naturally lack vitamins, but lots of the dairy-free milks in shops have been fortified with a number of extra ones, such as B vitamins and calcium. Just make sure to check the label!

You can also check out which vegan milk is best in your recipes here!

Charli Anderson

Lancaster '20

Charli is a sophomore exchange student from England, studying at UMaine for the year. Her majors are political science and philosophy. In her spare time she enjoys running, travelling and spending time with friends.
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓