Manetenance: Tips for Healthy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Anyone else been longing for luscious, waist-length, mermaid hair? Well ‘long’ no further, here’s how to ensure lengthy tresses in a swish!

1.       Styling Damage

I hate to point out the obvious, but too much styling can really damage your hair in the long run. If you are pining after locks that would rival Blake Lively’s mane then step away from the styling tools and products and opt for the fresh and natural look. Altering the natural makeup of each strand and putting unnecessary strain on them through excessive heat can singe the hair, so try to manually dry your hair whenever possible. At first this might seem unbearable but stick it out and you are guaranteed fantastic results. This will give you the opportunity to start anew and give your hair the love and attention it deserves – Blake Lively who?!

Girls, step away from the brushes and combs – brushing your hair to excess can pull hairs out of the scalp. Use a wide-toothed comb and never comb like a madman (even though I know it’s super tempting when you’re in a rush, and is it just me or are you always in a rush?!). Also, make sure to comb your hair when it’s dry, not wet. Your hair is especially prone to damage when it’s wet, so it’s best to wait until it’s on the drier side before you take a wide-toothed comb to go through your lovely locks. Even though this is nearly as tempting as giving up on your Lent resolution, try not to detangle or pull at your hair without the aid of a leave-in conditioner or detangling spray. Whilst we’re on it, stop twiddling and playing with your hair in general – this will only weaken it! Not the way to Ariel-like mermaid hair.

In addition, try not to use rubber bands (which are, by the way, definitely not hair band substitutes) and pass on the tight ponies which can cause unnecessary stress on hair follicles.

Why not save the hassle and only wash your hair 3-4 times a week depending on how oily your hair is? You don’t need to shampoo and conditioner every day, as this will suck out the natural oils present in your hair. Those with curly, coarse, or dry hair may want to wash their hair only 2-3 times weekly, as natural oils are key for strong and healthy hair. People who have oily skin probably want to wash their hair more than the 3-4 per week average, as a buildup of oil can be harmful to growth. Make sure to look out for products that contain ingredients that are healthy for hair; ingredients like avocado, coconut, jojoba, and olive are all beneficial when used in moderation. They help retain moisture and oils while minimizing split ends and other hair damage- not to mention leave you smelling super duper!

Make it your priority to book that hair cut! Cutting hair stops the loss of length from the tips, as it prevents breakages from split ends. If you’re not getting it cut every 6-10 weeks you’re severely limiting the ‘mermaidality’ of your hair! Book it and treat yourself, what’s better than a head massage?!

[pagebreak]

2.       Diet

Time to restart that New Year’s healthy eating resolution- if not just for the sake of your hair! Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, meats, and fish. Since hair is made of protein, make sure you’re getting plenty of protein in your diet. Some proteins to consider incorporating into your diets are lean meats such as chicken and turkey, fish, eggs, soy products, beans, and nuts. These foods will help promote healthy keratin production, which are the building blocks of hair. Good food is good for your hair and this goodness will no doubt lead to long and healthy hair in an instant!

Fats

Be sure to include all the food groups in moderation, including fats (but the right kinds of fat!). Certain fats are good for both a healthy lifestyle and healthy hair. Fats in moderation help maintain healthy hair and skin production as they contain Vitamins A, D, E, and K — all of which are necessary for healthy hair production. Opt for foods such as salmon, sardines, walnuts and spinach, which are all high in Omega 3 fats.

Iron and Zinc

Iron and zinc are also essential in creating great, healthy hair. Iron as it transports oxygen from the blood in your toes all the way up to your hair follicles and zinc because it assists in the repair of your tissues, making sure that the oil glands around your follicles are working in the proper way. Up your iron content by consuming lean animal meats or beans, lentils, and soy products and hit the zinc stop with oysters, low-fat roast beef, toasted wheat germ, roasted pumpkin and squash seeds, dark chocolate(!), and cocoa powder.

Vitamin C

Ladies, it’s also super important to get enough vitamin C. With our bodies using vitamin C to build collagen, (which is crucial in developing hair growth), a lack of it can cause hair to be weak, lusterless, and prone to breakage. Guava, citrus fruits, pomegranate, broccoli, bell peppers, spinach and lychees are all fantastic and great-tasting foods that are packed with vitamin C- good luck finding those items in your local supermarket though!

[pagebreak]

3.       Exercise & Stress

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will promote hair growth and not only that, but get you looking stunning in that bikini this summer (not that long to go ladies!). So sleep, sleep, sleep and take time out for yourself – this allows time for your body to regenerate cells and promote overall health.

Sort out the emotional clutter in your life by learning how to manage the normal stress your body produces as a result of daily activities and unexpected occurrences. Take a chill pill because stress in large quantities can halt hair production. Take a trip to the pool, go on a bicycle ride or simply chuck on some trainers and head out for a jog. Exercise is a great way to release pent-up stress. It helps your body process foods and vitamins, sleep better, and reduce large amounts of stress; ideal before exam season kicks in!

As long as you follow these suggestions, you hair will be the healthiest it can possibly be and noticeable hair growth will be at your fingertips (given time!) 

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland