Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness

Keeping Pets Safe on Bonfire Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

This is the time of year to enjoy everything November has to offer, especially the fireworks on Bonfire Night! But, it is also the time to make sure your pets are comfortable and happy, as fireworks can cause them great distress. So, here’s a list of things you can do to try and ease the stress.

Keep Your Pets Inside

Make sure you walk your dogs during the day, so they don’t need to be walked at night, do not take any pets to a firework display, and do not leave any pets home alone. Close all the windows and play some music to try and mask the sound of the fireworks. Try creating a den in your home, where your pets can burrow, hide and feel safe. If your pet lives outside (it is best to bring them inside, though), fill the cage with extra bedding and try to sound-proof with blankets (but make sure to leave a gap so air flow isn’t restricted).

Stay Calm

If your pet gets distressed, do not panic them more by getting angry or being overbearing. Stay calm, give them space and treat them as you would normally. Creating a calm environment will help a lot.

Recognise the Signs of Distress

If you recognise distress, you are more likely to deal with it more efficiently and appropriately. Here are the PDSA’s top tips on recognising distressed behaviour:

Dogs: Trembling and shaking, clinging to owners, excessive barking, cowering and hiding behind furniture, trying to run away, going to the toilet in the house, pacing and panting, refusing to eat, destructive behaviour (chewing furniture etc.).

Cats: Cowering and hiding behind or on top of furniture, trying to run away, going to the toilet around the house, instead of outside or in their litter box, refusing to eat.

Rabbits: Stamping hind feet, staying motionless, trying to escape.

For more information, click here.

If you can, check out Pet’s at Home’s ‘Thundershirt’ and the rest of their firework safety range here.

I hope this list helps you and your pets have a calm, safe, and stress-free Bonfire Night.

Currently a 3rd (and final!) year English Literature and Creative Writing student at Lancaster University.