free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Katie Work: Armourer of Fencing Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1. First things first: tell us a little bit about you!

I’m a 20 year old a third year student studying Religious Studies. I’m in Lonsdale College and I’m from Ormskirk which is about half an hour from Liverpool. This is my second year with the Fencing club and I’m on the Women’s team as well as being Armourer. I’m also a UCAS Admissions Mentor for my department.

2. Fencing is a rather random choice of society, why did you join in the first place?

Pretty much because I liked the idea of getting a sword. I’ve never really been sporty or competitive, so I thought I should get involved with a sport while at uni; it’s such a great time to try out new things. I had absolutely no knowledge or experience of fencing before I joined, much like most people in the club.

3. What does being an Armourer entail? Did you have to undertake any previous training?

There’s quite a lot to do really, so thankfully I’m one of two armourers in the club, as well as other members knowing more than I do! Mostly we just fix things when they break, which happens a lot. The kit is all electrical so there’s a lot of wires and things that can go wrong. We’re never long into a fencing session before someone’s calling for one of us because various things aren’t working.

There’s a lot of kit to deal with so we also get it out each session and keep track of what people borrow. Everything I know I mostly learnt from others in the club, plus trial and error, and google. I’m still learning really because there’s so much to know, but I think my co-armourer and I have a good handle on things.

4. So what happens at a Fencing Soc social?

We do all sorts really. For the first social of the year we do a three-legged bar-crawl round campus which is great: you’re put into pairs with one fresher and someone already in the club. It’s such a good way to meet the new members. We also recently had a film night which was nice and chilled and a good alternative to going out. I know everyone says this about their society, but we really are just a big group of friends, so a night in with pizza is pretty perfect.

5. How can people get involved with fencing at Lancs?

You can become a member of the club- we meet twice a week for two hours. Another great way of getting involved is through Just Play. For a lot of people, joining the actual club is too big of a commitment. With Just Play, you pay £2 for a two hour session and you can give it a go, either as a one off or you could come back every week. You’ll have the chance to have one-to-one coaching so it’s a great way to try something out that’s completely new. Our Just Play is in the Sports Centre every Tuesday 3:30pm-5:30pm. You’ll usually see me there in the corner trying to fix things.

6. Do you have any plans to carry on fencing once you’ve graduated?

It’s definitely something I’d like to keep up, so wherever I am after I graduate, I’ll be hunting down the local fencing club. I’ve become really enthusiastic about it and it’s a fun, interesting way of exercising. I’m also hoping to get a lot of my own kit for Christmas so I’m planning to be involved in fencing for a long time.

7. What would you say is the best thing about being part of this society?

Getting to stab your friends.

8. Lastly, what’s the worst injury you’ve ever encountered at fencing?

Luckily I’ve never really been ‘injured’. I bruise pretty easily so I’m often covered in bruises but that’s it. I’ve probably caused worse. I think my co-armourer still has a scar from one time when I caught her on the arm!

Thanks for your time and interesting answers, Katie!

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland