How to Make the Most of Your University Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Many people spend thousands of pounds per year on university fees, so the question that rises frequently is this: ‘Is University really worth it?’ If you’re going to spend thousands on lectures that you’re going to sleep through, and not take advantage of the opportunities that your university gives you, then no, your university experience probably won’t be ‘worth it’. University is only worth it if you make it worth it. So, here is my advice on making the most of your university experience.

So many students complain about the money they spend on lectures when they don’t seem to have many contact hours. However, universities will often provide extracurricular academic opportunities that relate to your degree, with little or no charge. A great example of this is Lancaster University’s ‘Lancaster Award’ scheme, in which students can opt to participate in with no extra charge to their tuition fees. This award increases your employability by a whole 7%. There are also clubs and societies that you can join for little or no charge that relate to your course. If you study maths, join the maths society. If you study geography, join the geography society. Getting involved in activities like these is a great way to achieve the best you can in your course. Not only this, but you’ll meet others with the same interests as yourself.

Along with extracurricular academic activities, you can get involved in activities outside of your degree field. Joining clubs and societies outside of your academic field is a great way to have fun and make friends. Most universities over a range of different activities from the swimming club to the Harry Potter society, so why not get stuck in? 

This goes without saying, but if you want to make the most out of your degree then you need to study as hard as you can. If you’re working at a 2:1, but you’re capable of a first, then you’re not making the most of the opportunity that others less fortunate than you could only dream of. You’re not making the most out of your time at university if you’re skipping lectures or doing your assignments the day before they’re due; to achieve your best grades you can, you need to work hard.

You also need to play hard. University is the place to have fun, so be sociable and enjoy your free time as much as possible. Of course your degree is important but, as many of you will be at university for at least three years, it’s important to strike the right balance between work and fun. Spending time with friends, going on nights out and having hobbies is a great way to relieve the tension of studying hard and is key to making the most of your time at university.

English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx