How to Get Some “Work-Life” Balance Whilst Living on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

At Lancaster we are really lucky with the standard of our on campus accommodation, having lived in town for second year I decided to come back onto campus for my third and final year. While this seemed like a great idea in terms of location and being close to everything, my main fear was that I was going to struggle to relax. This is due to campus potentially being a bubble of stress as you can’t get any from where lectures, seminar and deadlines are.

Last year, living in town was great, as annoying as those half an hour bus journeys were they gave me a chance to actually sit for a few minutes, head home and actually get a geographical distance away from University. Living on campus it is much harder to get this distance and remember to actually take breaks from work. Here are my tips for taking time out while living on campus:

1. Go into Town 

Campus can feel a bit claustrophobic if you are there all the time so try to meet up with friends who live in town. You could also take the Sainsbury’s bus on a Wednesday to get into town for free. Even walking into town is great and takes under an hour (this is however much nicer to do in summer as there is less rain- make sure you check the weather forecast!)

(Image: wikimedia.org)

2. Plan Something to Look Forward to 

Whether this is going to Sugar, having a film night as a flat or going and getting a drink at one of the on campus bars.

(Image: miamiandbeaches.com)

3. Get a Job 

This was something that helped me massively as working a few hours on one day a week gave me chance to mix with different people and talk about something other than Uni.

4. Walk around campus

The woodland trail is very relaxing and gives you a chance to get out of the library and out of your room and get some fresh air.

(Image:unibaggage.com)

5. Change your study location

There are so many different places to do your uni work whether it’s in a coffee shop or even county study room. Just working somewhere other than where you’re sleeping can really help.

(Image: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com)

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.