danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How To Get Career Focused- Student Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

If you are at university you might be in the usual bubble – thinking that you don’t need to worry about your career or future job prospects just yet. I would recommend starting to think now, whether you are in first, second or third year. This gives you plenty of time to start getting the right kind of experience, saving up for a particular course that you may need for a job, or just to avoid unnecessary worry on top of your studies.

1. Look at Job types

See what jobs are actually out there – there will be hundreds you have zero interest in, some you’ve never heard of and some you are quite intrigued by. Just take a look at Prospects, do some career quizzes, rule some jobs out – it’s that simple.

2. Set up a LinkedIn Account

LinkedIn is basically a professional social media account, allowing you to upload your CV online for potential employers and colleagues to see your profile that contains your experience, qualifications and achievements. It also gives you a chance to post about your recent academic or career achievements to others, which can also catch recruiters’ attention. LinkedIn is also a great way to connect with other graduates, students and employees of a company you want to work with, to gain an insight into the company, such as what they look for in employees and what the employer is like.

3. Comb through your social media (and be active!)

Making sure your social media accounts are on private or are PG is a must. I bet you’ve heard horror stories about employees being fired after uploading the wrong picture or tweeting something offensive. It does happen, so be sure to make your social media accounts private or appropriate. Just think when looking at your accounts, would you hire yourself?

4. Get Relevant Experience (if you haven’t already got it)

This is definitely a must in today’s society. Without gaining relevant experience you will struggle to have much to talk about in interviews or enlighten employers with your insightful knowledge in a particular department of interest. This work experience will also allow you to rule out any jobs you dislike. Make sure to use your contacts – ask your parents, family and friends if they know anyone working in an area you are interested in and be sure to check out job sites, such as Indeed, for any internships on offer.

5. Start Applying

Whether you like it or not, at some point you have to start applying to jobs and facing the real world. This might be at the beginning or end of your third year, or even a year or two after graduating. The sooner you start applying, practicing mock interviews and racking up interviews, the sooner you will be employed!

All GIFS from Giphy

Caitlin Biwer

Lancaster '20

.
Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.