Happy 88th Birthday, Mickey Mouse!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

If you know me, you will know that a big part of my heart is devoted to Disney- the majority of my DVDs here at uni are Disney ones. Just typing these words, I realise that I have a Disney playlist running in the background, it just seems to be part of my everyday norm in some way or another. 

November 18th, is the 88th ‘birthday’ of Mickey Mouse, who was created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks. Mickey was officially first found in Steamboat Willie (1928)- I’m sure you’ll recognise the classic whistling clip that’s been played at the beginning of each film since 2007. With a leap, a bound and an ‘Oh, boy!’, all these years later, he is still held in high regard as the mouse that started it all! 

Here are a few of my favourite Mickey Mouse facts:

1). Hidden Mickeys:

Using the iconic three circles to form a representation of the mouse himself, hidden Mickeys can be found all over Disney parks and can also be spotted in certain Disney films. These can be super difficult to find, as they’re often quite small and constructed out of anything from rocks and plates to paint spatters- but that’s part of the fun! If you’ve got a Disney trip coming up or fancy an evening curled up with your favourite Disney film, be sure to keep your eyes peeled!

2). ‘Partners’ statue:

Standing strong with the idea that Mickey is, and always will be, the true mascot of Disney. In several parks, you will find him welcoming you in statue form, hand in hand with Walt Disney. On Mickey’s 65th birthday, this statue was first revealed, taking pride of place in front of the castle at Disneyland, California. Many other parks went on to replicate this statue, showing just how important that mouse was to Walt, and to all those who visit the Disney parks.

3). Hollywood Walk:

On Mickey’s 50th birthday, he was recognised with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the first cartoon character to receive such an honour. Since then, other famous Disney characters to join him include the likes of Snow White, Tinkerbell and Donald Duck. 

These little facts show what an impact Mickey has had in the world of Disney and animation. So, to celebrate Mickey’s birthday on 18th November, don your Mickey ears, put on your favourite Mickey top (we have Primark to thank for those) and treat yourself to a Disney film night! And don’t forget Walt’s words- “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing- that it was all started by a mouse”. Something amazing and joyful can start with something small- as small as a mouse!

Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling