Style

A Guide to: Outfits for Every New Year Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Not sure what to wear for New Year’s Eve? Telling yourself that there’s plenty of time to go last-minute outfit hunting, but later regretting that you decided to search for your perfect dress at the most crowded and stressful time of the holidays? Our advice: avoid the pressure of leaving it late and check your New Year’s Eve outfit off your shopping list with these cute outfit ideas.

Whether you’re dancing the night away, toasting to a prosperous 2020 with champagne, or keeping it casual and spending the night in front of the TV, we’ve got an outfit covered for you. All our specific suggestions, items from everywhere from ASOS to Pretty Little Thing to Pull & Bear, are linked in the text.

New Year’s House Party

House parties are one of the best ways to celebrate New Year. They are fun, personal and relaxed – all of your friends are together, you don’t have to pay for ridiculously overpriced drinks, and you don’t face the same safety concerns that going to a club entails.

The perfect outfit for this occasion is a lace dress: it’s classy, cute, and you’ll still be looking fabulous post-midnight. If your budget is a little higher, why not go for this white lace number? We recommend adding some gold jewellery and black heeled platforms to achieve ultimate level chicness.  

Cosy Night in

If you are planning on spending a night in by the fireplace, watching Christmas movies throughout the night, and sharing festive foods and wines, you should keep your outfit comfortable but cute. A simple sweater with a mini-skirt, tights, and ankle boots is an ideal look for this cosy kind of night – stylish and seasonal.                                                

Going Out-Out

New Year’s Eve is one of the only occasions of the year where it is socially acceptable to wear the sequins, velvets, and all the other sparkly fabrics that most of us wouldn’t be seen dead in any other day of the year. After all, this season practically owns glitter.

It doesn’t have to be an uncomfortable mini-dress affair. Why not embrace the festive sparkles with a glamorous sequin top that will allow you to dance as freely and comfortably as you want…without overheating. Make sure you wear a warm jacket or coat over your outfit, though, so you don’t freeze as soon as you step outside!

You can style the top up with some black, white or blue jeans and a pair of open-toe, thick heels. These kind of heels will allow you to escape the aches and pains that the likes of stilettos inflict on your feet. And don’t forget to add your final pieces of bling—some drop or hooped earrings and a bracelet will complete the look.

Date Night

When it comes to selecting your outfit for a date night, options are varied and depend on your chosen venue. Assuming you are going for a typical candle-lit dinner, it is essential that you find the right balance between comfort and fashion. Chances are you’re not dining at the Ritz, so save the evening gowns and cocktail dresses for another occasion.

We’re certain that you can find something in your wardrobe that you could wear for a date-night – a lace dress or a simple black number, for example, would create the classy and sophisticated look ideal for this kind of occasion. Although, if you are looking for something more daring, remember that 2019 has seen the revival of animal print. Cheetah is back in business and is more chic than ever before – and nothing screams cat-titude quite like this skirt by ASOS. It’s selling fast, though, so hurry if you want to show it off on the 31st!You could style a bold-print skirt with a simple pair of black heels or boots and a black bardot top. We suggest avoiding matching any exciting or colourful garments with this skirt, though, as you might risk looking like a jungle species!

Rachel Mcangus

Lancaster '21

Second year Linguistics student at Lancaster University.
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓