Film Review: How To Be Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

9/10

In a typical romantic comedy set in Manhattan, Alice (played by the amazing Dakota Johnson) chooses to start a new life living and loving freely with no strings attached. Ditching her long term relationship with Josh, (Nicholas Braun) she sets off on a Big City Adventure, and is introduced to the party lifestyle within days thanks to colleague Robin (Rebel Wilson). Unfortunately, not everything goes as planned, but after a few arguments and a little self reflection, Alice finally learns how to really be single (and enjoy it). 

One of the things I remembered most about the film were the absolutely gorgeous male specimens that were cast in the roles of Alice’s (and her sister’s) many suitors. As well as Nicholas Braun, there was Anders Holm, Damon Wayans Jr, and my personal favourite, Jake Lacy. If you’re not sure what they look like, you definitely won’t regret looking them up! The film also featured an adorable baby, (I’m not joking – I almost cried it was so cute) so even if romcom’s aren’t your thing, it’s worth it just for that.

Because Rebel Wilson’s birthday was on 2nd March, I thought it only right to give her some love and talk about her incredible performance as Robin. A lot of us will know Wilson as ‘Fat Amy’ from Pitch Perfect, and in all honesty, it’s difficult to accept her playing any other role since Amy was such a brilliant character. However in How to Be Single, ‘Robin’ is remarkably similar to Wilson’s previous roles in many ways. The loud, often outrageous remarks as well as hilarious physical comedy stunts are done effortlessly by Wilson, and she triumphs by leaving us all in fits of laughter yet again.  

Although the storyline may seem a little too familiar, what with the countless relationships, the sensible sister (Leslie Mann) and the unreliable best friend, director Christian Ditter wanted something “fresh…for this generation”, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV4Wqo052WI) and so managed to create a balance between the comedy elements and the more serious issues explored in the film. Additionally, what makes How To Be Single so different from a traditional chick flick is its overall message; that happiness doesn’t have to be found in a partner. We are shown Alice’s realisation of this towards the end of the film, giving it a totally relatable and real vibe. It’s a feel good film, but a believable film, and one that makes you appreciate what you have that makes you happy.  

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!