samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dom Clarke: Course Rep For Data Science MSc

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I’m Dom Clarke, I’m 21 years old, from Wigan.  I’m in Graduate College and I’m studying towards a Data Science MSc at the uni. I’m the student rep of my course and I love the responsibility. I also did my undergraduate at Lancaster where I was in Cartmel College. I played for the Cartmel college football team and have carried on this year.  

2: Why did you decide to become a course rep?

I became the course rep because I wanted a position of leadership for my CV and I wanted to push myself to do more. Also, because I have done my undergraduate here and therefore, I felt comfortable in being able to guide my course mates and to help them out with any problems.

3: What are your main jobs as a course rep?

In short, I am basically the middle man between students and the lecturers. My course mates will approach me with any problems and I will let the appropriate people know through meetings to find a way to solve those problems.

4: Would you encourage others to go for the course rep role next year? And why?

I would definitely recommend others to apply for the course rep role because the responsibility is great and you get to have a good relationship with the lecturers.

5: Why did you decide to undertake a Masters degree?

I decided to do a Masters degree because I felt that with a maths degree, I did not have the necessary skills to go into industry, I felt like I needed more. Also, if I’m honest, I didn’t know what sector I wanted to go into so doing a Masters has really opened up more job opportunities for me.   

6: Why did you pick Lancaster in the first place? And why did you pick it to continue to study at after you completed your Undergrad?

I chose Lancaster because it’s kind of a family tradition to go there! My dad, brother and cousin all went there so I felt obliged to go. Also, the maths department is good and it was the best local university I could go to. I decided to stay on further because I am comfortable here and the MSc I am doing really appealed to me.

7: Lots of third years are currently applying for Masters- got any tips for them?

I would recommend doing something you really have a passion for, the level of work is much higher than undergraduate.

8. What would you say is your best and worst thing about Lancaster Uni?

Best: The college system and the opportunities to be part of several teams within your college.

Worst: The weather, especially after the past weekend.  

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland