Style > Beauty

DIY Winter Haircare Remedies You Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Even though we try to deny it, it’s here. The days are shorter, the nights are longer. The birds have migrated and a colorful leaf rug covers the ground. The warm kisses of the summer sun are long behind us. Temperatures drop and with them so do our moods. Winter is here.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the change in weather affects our hair, too. Just look at Monica Gellar on her trip to Barbados.

It seems as if all hope is lost when everyday starts becoming a bad hair day. But don’t give up just yet! We’ve gathered a list of super affordable DIY tricks to help you rescue your hair and make it through the cold Lancaster winter.

1. Emergency moisture restoration, AKA: oils!

The harsh weather dries the scalp, which might lead to that irritating dandruff returning. If you want to avoid a flaky scalp (and someone asking you if it’s snowing outside when it’s really raining) then keep reading…

One of the best ways to rehydrate your scalp at home is oil scalp massages. You’ll need:

1) A few drops of natural oil, preferably a lighter one such as argan oil or jojoba oil;

2) A warm, wet towel to lock the moisture in.

Massage the oil into your scalp for a few minutes, put the hot, wet towel around your hair for 10 minutes and then wash away (please do wash away – oily scalp is definitely not the look we are going for here!) Repeat once or twice a week before you shower.

Side note: try not to wash your hair with really hot water – it will only dry it more!

2. Deep conditioning (for lazy ladies)

It’s not Halloween anymore, and a frizzy, untamable mane really only looks good on characters from the Lion King. Luckily, we’ve got a hack for all the lazy ladies and lads out there who just can’t be bothered, but still desperately need a winter hair remedy. Again, you’ll only need two ingredients for this one:

1) The conditioner you’re currently using (it’s best if you use a thicker one rather than a runny one);

2) A few drops of argan oil (or another preferred oil.)

Apply and leave it to soak into your hair for around 5 minutes, and watch your problems wash away! 

3. On-the-go moisture

If you are looking for something on the go, something that you can take everywhere with you, then you’re in the right place. With this three ingredient spray you can have luscious locks, fast. You’ll need:

1) An empty spray bottle;

2) Aloe Vera gel;

3) Vitamin E oil;

4) Rose water.

Squeeze 1tbsp of the aloe and a few drops of the vitamin E oil (which will restore moisture) into your empty spray bottle, then just add rose water (super beneficial for your scalp.) Shake well and you’re ready to go!

4. MASKS, MASKS, MASKS!

It’s time to embrace your inner witch and get to mixing all sorts of ingredients for these next magic potions. Our mask recipes are quick and easy to make, and the ingredients are things you probably already have in your kitchen!

1) First off, you need a base to your hair mask – the thicker, the better. We recommend you use pure honey, natural Greek yoghurt and/or a banana (mash it first of course!) All three of these ingredients are great sources of nourishment for your hair.

2) Now you can add the more liquid ingredients: oils and/or eggs (yes, that’s right, eggs!) These are packed full of nutrition which will enrich your hair right to the roots. Add a bit of water to thin your mask if needed, and voila!

3) Apply the mixture to your hair for 10-15 minutes and enjoy your renewed, healthy mane.

Use these cheap and easy, DIY tricks to restore hope to both your hair, and your mind – and don’t let your bad hair day ruin your day again!

Creative writing student lacking creativity.
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓