This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

We always want the hair we don’t have, or don’t know how to get. And curls are no exception. I know how annoyingly difficult it is for us girls to get those perfect, red carpet curls, especially as the weather in Lancaster permits nothing but windswept, flat, and lifeless hair. And I know we’ve all tried everything from rollers to curling wands that transform nothing but the skin on your hand to blisters. But I have this incredible tool (or super power, as I like to refer to it!) that will transform you into a curly-haired goddess!

In 2013, Babyliss launched a new hair styler called the Babyliss Curl Secret, which everyone, from bloggers to celebs, such as Mollie King from The Saturdays (pictured below), have raved about. And, since I felt left out, I added it to my Christmas wish list. (And guess what? I got it!)

This magical curling tool has only one down side, which is its hefty price tag, at £120. There are in fact two versions of this product: the Salon Pro edition, which retails for £160, but the more consumer friendly Curl Secret is, without a doubt, better in so many aspects. To name a few, it has a longer warranty, at 3 years, and there are fewer complicated settings, which means there is less chance of you damaging your hair. It’s a win-win!

Although it takes some getting used to, it is legitimately fool-proof (because I know some of us girls out there are just like Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, it’s uncanny – academic brains, but no common sense whatsoever!). Keep on reading and you’ll discover the many positives of this product, and why it really is worth buying…

Albeit pricey, the Auto Curl™ technology is revolutionary to hair styling, as it carefully draws in your hair and winds it around the ceramic barrel to create those effortless curls. The professional heating system has a fast curl formation and the piece of hair is heated from top to bottom inside the chamber.

Having used this since Christmas Day, I find that my hair is in better condition than when I used to curl it with a GHD straightening iron, which left the ends of my hair brutally damaged. With the Curl Secret, the hair isn’t tightly wrapped around the ceramic barrel, so there is no direct contact. No need to worry, ladies!

The most successful way to creating your full head of curls, is to separate your hair into different layers, and only putting in strands that are no more than 3cm thick. In theory, the thinner the pieces of hair your curl, the tighter and more defined they are. However, there are other elements which can affect the finished look.

The Curl Secret has two heat settings and three timer settings. I have always used the first heat setting, to save my hair from heat damage, and I find this works perfectly! However, if I wanted it to last longer than a couple of days, I might use the higher setting. Let me digress for a second… YOU READ CORRECTLY; IT LASTS FOR AT LEAST TWO DAYS. And, I’m back. You can programme the styler to curl the hair for 8, 10 or 12 seconds and I’ve tried all three. 8 gives you free-flowing waves; 10 gives you more defined curls and 12 creates almost ringlets, which are extremely long-lasting and can battle against all weather types (!!!!!)

Unfortunately, I have seen many off-putting reviews, which are enough to dissuade even the most professional of hair stylists, but, after trying it for myself, the device couldn’t be safer. As it sweeps in your hair, it recognises when it’s not in correctly, or if there are any stray strands, and the barrel won’t curl. The device bleeps and releases the hair for you to try again. And, if you’re forgetful like me, you’ll be thanking Babyliss every day for its 20 minute sleep mode function and auto shut off. This means you’ll have no more burnt carpets and dressing tables and no more telling-offs from your parents for nearly setting the house on fire! If that doesn’t settle their worrying minds, you get a complimentary heat mat too!

All in all, I think my favourite touch to the Babyliss styler is the fact that it has an automatic curl direction, which alternates the direction of the curl – from anti-clockwise to clock-wise – creating that perfectly natural finish. An oxymoron, I know, but after all, this thing is MAGIC.

This hair styler is definitely the key to getting glamorous hair. Once finished, brush it through, spritz with hair spray and you needn’t mess with it for days – all a female student’s dreams come true! Don’t wait around, spend that student loan before you waste it on something else.

Let us know what you think of the Babyliss Curl Secret, and don’t forget: It’s a secret!

Lauren X

I'm Lauren Collier. I'm nineteen years old and I'm a second year English Language in the Media undergraduate. I'm a social media enthusiast, blogger and obsessed with living a healthy lifestyle!Email: lauren-collier@hotmail.co.ukInstagram: www.instagram.com/laurenlcollierTwitter: www.twitter.com/laurenlcollier