Cheap Soups To See You Through Autumn And Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Autumn is officially here, and as all Lancastrians discover all too soon…

So, with that in mind why not check out these effortlessly easy, quick recipes that will help keep costs down and keep you warm all week. A lot of these recipes also serve 4-6 so why not make a batch that will provide you with lunches for the next few days or cook with the rest of your house and you can all share the rewards.

Pumpkin/butternut squash soup with honey and sage (Serves 4-6)

Even though Halloween is over, I had to start with a pumpkin soup because they are perfect for this time of year. If you can’t get your hands on one then you can also use butternut squash, which will be equally yummy :)

Ingredients

• 75g unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed (look for frozen garlic next time you go shopping, it won’t go off as quickly & it works out much cheaper)
  • 1kg pumpkin or butternut squash, de-seeded, peeled & cut into cubes
  • 2 heaped teaspoons clear honey
  • 750ml veg stock
  • 3 sprigs sage (herbs are often reduced in the supermarket, or you could get dried sage)
  • 75ml double cream
  • salt & black pepper

How to make

1. Gently melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and carrot, stir, and cook over a low heat for around 5 minutes. Add the cubed pumpkin/squash, honey and sage, stir, and cook for about 10 minutes.
  2. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until the veg is soft. Turn the heat off and leave the soup to cool a little. Remove the sage (if you have used fresh herbs).
  3. Put the soup in a blender, food processor or use a hand held blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Return the soup to the pan, slowly bring to the boil then stir in the cream without boiling further.
  4. Season with some salt and pepper, and if you want to be really posh, serve with an extra swirl of cream!

Easy Tomato Soup (Serves 6-8)

The next recipe comes courtesy of the legend that is Mary Berry, and as she would say “It’s a bit of alright!” 

Ingredients

• 6 sun dried tomatoes
  • Olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves crushed (see above tip)
  • 3x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
  • 500ml veg stock
  • 1 tablespoon caster sugar
  • 150ml full-fat milk
  • 150ml double cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3-4 teaspoons pesto, to serve (optional)

How to make

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for a few seconds, until it just starts to colour.
  2. Add the sun dried and tinned tomatoes, stock & sugar, then bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat and using whatever blender you have, blend the soup. Stir in the milk and cream, and heat gently.
  4. Serve the soup with the pesto (if using), but it is equally delicious on its own.

Without the milk/cream both of these recipes freeze very well. Simply defrost and reheat until really hot, then stir in the milk/cream. You can also keep the soups in a covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days. 

I hope you enjoy making these winter soups, they are a great idea for us students! 

Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling