Campus QT: Emma Shirley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I had the privilege of interviewing my old flatmate Emma (aka Nanna Emma), the only person in the world who appreciates Modern Family and Costa as much as I do! 

Name: Emma Shirley

Age: 23

Hometown: The Wirral

College Fylde (I mean Graduate!! Can I be both?)

Degree: I did my Spanish Studies degree at Lancaster and now doing my MA in Languages and Cultures here too!

Year: I’ve lost count

Are you a member of any societies? I joined the Latin American Society in first year thinking it was for people interested in Latin America… nope, just lots of Latinos and Latinas. I never went again.

What do you do in your spare time? I’m on a perpetual coffee crawl. You can always find me in a cool coffee shop with a flat white when I’m not at work or Uni!

In 3 words how would your friends describe you? Obsessed. With. Glitter.

Celebrity crush? Liam Hemsworth (the hotter bro, Bethan)

Favourite chat up line? I hate them ALL! I need a play-it-cool guy not a cringe-up-my-life guy (am I being too picky!?)

What is your idea of a perfect date? I’ll take anything on a boat on a lake vibes – Meet The Parents and Take Me Out don’t sell the sit-down dinner date life for me, sorry.

What do you think your best feature is? People tend to love my ‘sunflower eyes’ so the people have spoken..! 

If you could have any superpower what would it be? Teleportation might save me a few early morning flights or cramped buses to Uni.

What are you never seen without? My phone – and makeup! I just leveled up in first world problems.

If you could be anywhere in the world right now where would it be? Back on Broadway! Once is not enough – rejoicify!

Favourite film? I have a thing for films that mess with your head and leave you all “noooooomyygodwhat!” My favourite Spanish film is Abre Los Ojos (the original that Vanilla Sky was adapted from), and I’m just gonna leave the greatest movie scene ever here for you.. and if you’re not ready for that, you’re kids are gonna love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

Favourite celebrity? Jeremy Kyle once held my hand on stage *true story* so I guess he wins by default, although Keith Lemon telling Gino D’Acampo he’s “gonna call Brexit on him” is the only thing that makes the affair a little less painful.

Favourite artist? My fervent love for the Lumineers have cost me Tinder matches, and I’ll let them do it again.

Favourite TV programme? Modern Family – I watch it so much, quotes often pop into my head when they relate to my real life situation. 

Favourite food? On my year abroad I became so addicted to patatas bravas I used to go and get them to take away at 8am for breakfast on the way to Uni… Literally, BesCuit in Girona if you’re ever in town – you HAVE to try theirs. I’ve never found any better. 

Favourite animal? When I was a kid I used to tell people I had two older sisters called Mindy Muffin Shirley and Jessie Jane Shirley. I basically just deed polled my dogs to have my surname too. A bond like that is hard to break. (So it’s definitely dogs).

What would your dream job be? I want to travel the world for a living and I’m obsessed with languages so in a way my degree path is probably gonna pave the way for something that mixes dreams and reality..! 

Thanks for your time Emma

Lancaster University English Language in the Media student. Seem to have a high interest in all things pop culture, social media and the trivial...
Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling