Campus Celebrity: Lucy Thomas and Meg Day-Haynes (Fylde Netball Social Secretaries)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1. First of all, tell us a little bit about yourselves.

Meg: I am 20 years old, soon to be 21 in May (very scary, I feel old). I study Fine art, which I absolutely adore. My hobbies include reading (Mum is an English teacher so it’s in the genes), I love my sport: running, swimming, netball and horse riding. Lucy and I were flat mates last year and then joined netball together so have pretty much never left each other alone!

Lucy: I’m not yet a Granny like Meg, I’m still only 19 and I study Geography – I do love it, the field trips, learning about the world and of course, the colouring in. I’m not as sporty as Meg, but my hobbies include netball (obviously), watching football and spending time with friends (but is that even a hobby?) In terms of netball, I played it at school in PE and was also on the school netball team until year 9, and after not playing for nearly 5 years, Fylde brought my love for the sport back. This is going to sound so very cringey but joining Fylde Netball is the best decision I’ve made at Uni, those girls are my Uni family, the sisters I’ve never had!

2. Why did you join Fylde Netball?

Meg: I joined Fylde netball as the fresher rep who took me around and showed me my room was Nat Velaso, who is now my captain. She mentioned that, though Fylde is a sporting college and loves to win, college netball was a lot of fun!

Lucy: I joined Fylde netball thanks to Meg and I’m so pleased we joined. Not only does it keep us fit, but the social life is brilliant and the friendships are ones that will last a lifetime (we all have too much shit on each other to fall out)

3. How did you join the exec and what are your responsibilities?

Meg: Lucy and I both decided that we wanted to run for social sec together. After loving our first year of netball, not only the sport, but the socials too, we thought we could do this! The role includes the welfare of the team (we’re good listeners), organising socials, whether that’s drinking or dry socials and overall trying to make sure everyone is happy and having a fun time at Fylde netball.

Lucy: Meg and I get on like a house on fire and always have cracking banter. I think it was after the infamous ‘Music In-Dress-try’ social we 100% decided we wanted to run for social secs. Enya and Katie were great social secs last year, who provided us with fantastic socials and influenced our decision to run for social secs. Not only do we provide the squad with socials, we organise tours, get everybody drunk and ensure that people are having a safe and fantastic night and enjoying the whole experience of Fylde Netball.

4. There are probably lots, but can you tell us your best Fylde Netball memory?

Meg: That’s such a hard one! I think ‘Ninja’ social has to be one of my favourites. It starts off with drinking games and a bar crawl around the Uni and then onto town. Nobody knows what happens, but for some reason, every single person gets with someone. It must be some weird Lancaster fetish where all the boys are attracted to girls dressed up as ninjas. Roses was also one of my favourite moments. As a B team member we were fortunate enough to make it to Roses last year, which was amazing. We played one of the toughest matches we’ve ever played and then celebrated in true netball style by getting very drunk and trying to climb a mountain.

Lucy: This is a tricky question; I have so many fantastic memories of Fylde Netball! The best being (ah I have far too many to choose from) Roses, a brilliant weekend and old girls weekend this year was brilliant and it was so good to see all the old members back together.

5. What are the best and worst parts about being Social Secretaries?

Meg: Best parts about being social secs is seeing everyone enjoy themselves, getting along and having fun. The worst parts are probably the responsibility of people who get slightly too drunk and also the organising. Not sure everyone realises how much organising goes into all the socials and the tour.

Lucy: I agree with Meg, the best part is seeing everyone enjoying themselves and hearing the stories of socials at training the next day, that’s my favourite part of the week! And I don’t really have a worst responsibility. It can be quite hard trying to think of new themes for social and looking after people who are very drunk.

6. Finally, what’s your favourite netball social event and why?

Meg: NINJA.

Lucy: All the socials are fantastic. Enya and Katie did such a great job last year so I loved them all and didn’t miss one for the whole year. ‘Music In-Dress-try’ was brilliant and, like Meg said, Ninja is an absolute classic! Like Nobody knows what happens but everyone has a brilliant time and there are always some hilarious stories.

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!