Blondie: Pollinator Tour Review 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

After buying the tickets last weekend, I was super excited to go and see Blondie live in the Barclay Card arena in Birmingham. I was excited after hearing their album, so upbeat and soft-rocky, as well as the fact that I knew ‘One way or another’ would be such a great power ballad to hear live!

(Image from blondie.net)

Despite being apprehensive at first, because most of the audience looked over the age of 50, which, granted, isn’t surprising; once the band and Blondie herself started playing everyone seemed to tap into a youthful spirit, with most of the older listeners having much better vocal ability than myself! (Not difficult). Incorporating classic anthems such as ‘One way or another’, ‘Heart of glass’ and ‘Maria’ with the songs from their new album e.g. ‘Fragments’ and ‘Fun’ was done really well, as it was more vibe focused than release year or album focused. Old and new fans alike had a super fun night, whilst also validating that the bands taste and ability to write, record and perform music is still to the same high standard and generates a similar, perhaps slightly more modernised take on rock music.

(Image from Blondie.net)

Debbie Harry is a woman of inspiration and a rock legend, there are few people who would still have the will power and inherent self-drive to perform in front of thousands at age 72! I’m so glad I took the chance to go a watch the concert and rock out to some classic tunes. The atmosphere cleverly brought the retro vibe with it, using previous concert footage on the background screens which was a great concept. It must also be said that her outfit was fabulously sassy, with wings in her hair and ‘Stop Fucking the Planet’ boldly written on her dress, which ties in with the theme of her new album ‘Pollinator’ and broadcasts an important message to the fandom. A final point has to be that the merchandise is super cute and vintage and the album can be bought on vinyl which just screams 1980’s blondie, an amazing throwback!

(Image from Blondie.net)

P.S. The playlist for the tour and the Pollinator album are both on Spotify if you fancied a listen!

I am a 20 year old student from North Wales studying Marketing at Lancaster University, with a keen interest in the world of fashion, Tv and film. I feel as though writing shouldn't always be seen as a menial university task, it can be fun to talk about the things you love and express yourself creatively!