The Best Food at the Manchester Christmas Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

They’re back and extra special for their 20th anniversary. Yes, it’s Manchester Christmas market season. Open now until December 22nd , you’ll find most of Manchester’s famous markets in Albert Square, however they are all across Manchester – a perfect opportunity to get to know the city!  Here’s the rundown of some of the best food and drink choices the markets have to offer this year:

Porky Pig

Porky Pig street food is widely known for their amazing roast dinner, and so they’re in their element at this time of year. This year they have outdone themselves, with everything from battered pigs in blankets served with cranberry or apple sauce (or, as we’re in the North, a choice of gravies,) to their classic roast dinner wrap. Make sure you head on down to Exchange Square to get your hands on these delicious treats.

Northern Soul Grilled Cheese

Admit it: you’ve seen the videos on Facebook, and it’s been on the list for a while now. So why not try their Christmas dinner cheese toastie to finally give in to the hype? Don’t worry Scrooges, they offer some of their classic menu at the stalls too, including their Mac and Cheese toastie. You’ll find them in Albert Square, opposite the windmill.Credit: Manchester Evening News

Mango Rays

These markets really have everything you need. Mango Rays offer meat choices, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options, so bring all your friends for a full feast. 

The Mill Exchange

With all these food options, you’ll definitely need something delicious to wash it all down with. The Mill Exchange offers 10 different flavours of mulled wine, as well as festive cocktails, and some of the best hot chocolates the markets have to offer. They have multiple sites across the markets so you can’t miss them.

Yard & Coop

This year they have Chicken in a waffle cone, their traditional burgers as well as Jackfruit fries for all your plant-based needs. Why not head over to their restaurant afterwards to check out their dirty Santa afternoon tea?

Credit: Manchester Wire

Elsie Mays: Sweet tooth? No problem. Elsie Mays offers everything from a traditional mince pie to Baileys cookie dough. All of this alongside a healthy choice of hot and alcoholic drinks, including Rose gold shimmer prosecco – what could possibly go wrong?

Some honourable mentions…

We foodies could be here all day listing the best choices, so here are a few more stalls that you need to check out when you head down:

• Eat New York (the deep fried camembert bagel)
  • Campfire S’mores (Vegan options included!)
  • Ice tiki bar (find it in Cathedral Gardens)
  • Snow globe bar (head to Piccadilly Gardens)
Caitlin McCarley

Lancaster '20

20 years old, Lancaster uni
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓