Absurd Aims or Reasonable Resolutions?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

January 1st: the only day in the year when we really feel like we can start over, change our habits and even recreate ourselves. Like Christmas and birthdays, the New Year only comes once a year, but unlike other festivities, presents are not given nor received. Rather, we are given the possibility to “gift” ourselves. 
January 1st is a box in which we throw in all our aspirations and dreams. We wrap it up in high spirits and abundant motivation and decorate it with unachievable goals and targets that seem absolutely attainable at first. 

1. Lose weight
Such a common New Year’s resolution. “Lose 20kgs” seems like the most reachable goal ever. Think again. If this is going to be one of your resolutions, be reasonable. By all means set yourself goals, but perhaps you may want to consider monthly targets you know you can obtain with consistent motivation and determination. Also, when you feel like one little cheat won’t affect your long term dream, think of why you set that resolution in the first place and remind yourself that you can reach those targets only if you decide to be determined until the end. 

2. Work harder, achieve higher
Whether you want to improve in the academic side of your life or become better at a sport you’ve been playing, the same rules apply. Be specific: there is no point stating you want to get better at everything in university or become the next David Beckham. Understand the areas you need to focus on and those that don’t need immediate attention. Pinpoint the most obvious problems and create a step-by-step list of how you intend to tackle each one: you don’t need to write anything down, simply organising it in your head is enough.

3. Relationships
Be it with your family or your other half, relationships are one of those things you need to keep working at. In other words, this is one of the most difficult resolutions, but probably one of the most satisfying when accomplished. The important thing is to find what it is that you want to change or talk about and accept the fact that you will need plenty of time to make this resolution happen the way you want it to. 

New Year resolutions are continuous struggles, endless pursuits towards achievements we believe will bring us joy and further happiness, and renewed each year in an attempt to become a better version of ourselves.

So pop that champagne bottle. Toast to the new adventure. 

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!