7 Cheap Ways To Conquer A Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It’s November. The remaining strands of Fresher’s Flu are lingering in their harmonious orchestra of coughs in the lecture theatre and it’s only a matter of time, with the colder weather keeping people indoors (as it’s the confinement of people indoors because of cold weather NOT the cold weather itself that causes colds), before another outbreak ensues. So, save your money on expensive cold medicines and enjoy a list of cheap, effective remedies to fight of your cold this winter!

1. Lemon

This zesty little warrior will become one of your closest allies in the battle against the sniffles and coughs. The high Vitamin C content will help lessen the symptoms of a cold and build up your immune system against future colds. So get some green tea with a slice of lemon and you’ll be feeling phlegm free in no time!

2. Steam

This one is pretty simple: the moisture in the steam helps unblock your nose and sinuses, making it easier to breathe. You can use the steam from a cup of tea in the morning before lectures, the steam in the shower or if you put hot water in a bowl with lemon and maybe some Olbas Oil, you’ll soon be back to unblocked breathing.

3. Ginger

This Eastern Remedy has been long-used for its ‘healing properties’ such as boosting the immune system and cleansing the lungs and sinuses from toxins. Also, the natural spiciness of ginger helps to clear the sinuses, so unclog your pockets with used tissues! Ginger can be used in stir-fries, ginger ale, ginger nuts… you get the gist.

4. Garlic

This is one is my personal favourite, because now there’s an excuse to eat the garliciest pasta with perhaps a side of garlic bread in the name of recovery- and I have scientific proof! Garlic contains allicin which works to boost your immune system and reduce the length of a cold from the average 5 days to 1.5 days. Garlic also helps to reduce blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels and it tastes amazing!

5. Honey

Quite a well-known and effective reliever of a cold, it soothes a scratchy throat, and has anti-microbial properties meaning it’s well equipped to combat your cold symptoms. Besides, it’s likely to be one of the few times when indulging in sweet foods is actually good for your health!

6. Liquids – Keep Hydrated

Fighting infection is going to require a lot of energy and so you’re going to need to restore the fluids you lose especially if you have a fever. Plus, keeping yourself hydrated is a good way to clear sinuses and get important vitamins into your system. For example, you can drink a lot of green tea with lemon and honey or if you don’t like green tea, you can try juice or ginger ale that are just as helpful. NB: don’t overdo it! If you drink an excessive amount of fluids you’ll end up feeling worse and reducing salt levels in the blood. You should try to drink around 2-3 litres a day.

7. Keep Calm and Sleep It Off!

This is one of the most important remedies- do not to get stressed, it’ll make it worse. If your under-the-weather, don’t beat yourself up for not being able to do an all-nighter study session! Just do a little bit of work so it isn’t playing on your mind, have some garlic pasta and green tea with lemon and honey and get into bed. Your body needs all the energy it can get, so help it out!

.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!