This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Whether you’re pitch-perfect or tone-deaf, singing can bring so many benefits to your life. Here are five of them…

It’s a great way to express yourself

It’s often thought that singing can help to express what you’re feeling in the moment so if you relate to the lyrics of a song, singing along to it could be a useful way of getting your emotions out. It can also lead to a better understanding of yourself, as you learn to express who you are and what you identify with. If you feel like you can’t connect with any of the songs that you usually hear on the radio then there are plenty of other genres and sub-genres out there for you to try, or you could try writing your own lyrics!

It’s a way to make friends

As well as teaching you about yourself, singing is a great way to get to know other people. Through joining a choir or music society, going to a karaoke, or even forming your own band or group, people often use singing as a form of socialising. Even if you’re naturally shy, attending a musical group is probably one of the easiest places to form new friendships. Research shows that the feeling of awe often created from singing with others causes you to feel happier, making it easier to be kinder to and more open with new people.

It builds confidence

Singing in front others, whether it be in front of a crowd of strangers or just your family and friends, can really increase your confidence. Yes, it can also be terrifying, but after a while you will probably realise it’s not as bad as you think. Through performing, you’ll often find that your self-belief will grow and you’ll become far more confident in yourself – not just when singing, but also in your everyday life.

It’s good for your health

Believe it or not, singing is actually good for your physical health! Not only does it exercise the head and neck muscles, but it also helps to strengthen the immune system. Scientists believe that singing helps to lower feelings of anxiety, which in turn reduces the amount of a stress hormone called Cortisol in the body. Cortisol is thought to interfere with the normal functions of the immune system, which in turn increases our chances of disease. So, by singing, the likelihood of you staying physically fit and disease-free could be higher! 

It’s fun!

We’re all partial to a sing-along in the shower or whilst we study, and we do that because it’s enjoyable and reduces our stress, in turn boosting our mood! So not only are you helping yourself to lead a better lifestyle by singing, due to all of the reasons above, but your mental state will likely naturally improve and you’ll be a happier and more confident person.

Lucy Whalen

Lancaster '23

First year English literature and French student because am too indecisive to study one subject! Loves reading, running and singing!!
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓