5 Reasons Why You Should Master Meat-Free Mondays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Don’t worry, there aren’t any ‘Meat is Murder’ branded vegetable weapons aimed at your head because you eat meat; this is a demilitarised article and I can guarantee that you will encounter no judgemental looks nor will you turn into a ‘hippy’ as a result of reading- so continue!

‘Meat-Free Mondays’ is a scheme introduced by Sir Paul McCartney (and who doesn’t love a bit of The Beatles?) in 2009 with the aim to advertise a world-wide reduction in meat consumption. The reasoning? To achieve a number of things, including:

1.          Helping the environment!

I know that the whole ‘Greenhouse gases’ and ‘Global Warming’ preach is a bit of a bore, but it really is a relevant issue, an issue that the meat industry contributes to a lot more than you would expect-

A recent report from The Guardian has shown that the livestock industry contributes more to global warming that ‘all cars, trains, planes and ships combined’!

Wondering why you don’t know this? It’s most likely due to the financial hardships that the livestock industry would face if action were to be taken, such as eating less meat- which DOES make a difference!

So get your Green caps on and start helping the environment and not profits!

2.          Looking out for the animals!

Get your torch out because it’s about to get dark; sadly and unavoidably dark… Most people are aware of the appalling conditions that intensively-farmed animals are forced to live in, day-in day-out, for the production of meat but tend to do little about it. The conditions are cramped, painful, unhealthy and above all, cruel. Even free-ranged animals have it tough as there is NO limit to the flock size of a free-range chicken farm and the chicks are subject to a cruel ‘beak-trimming’ without anaesthetic to avoid the chickens hurting each other as they grow up. You leaving meat off your plate for one day is the least you can do to help prevent the suffering that these animals have to experience.

On a lighter note… there are some reasons to drop the meat one day a week that will directly benefit you!

3.      Your health!

Just think: you leave chicken out of Friday night’s gourmet, student-style pasta dish so to add some flavour you whack in some onions, peppers, mushrooms and, hey, throw in an aubergine while you’re at it! Getting your five-a-day, even if for just one day, can be pretty much solved in one meal.

Plus, the NHS has released that it is highly likely that there is a link between the over-consumption of red and processed meat and bowel cancer. -So reduce your meat intake and reduce the risk!

4.      Your Money!

This one is pretty simple, Chilli con Carne with a jar of chilli sauce, a packet of microwaveable rice (because we students are busy people!) and a packet of lean mince costs about £6, depending on whether you’re stuck on SmartPrice or treating yourself to something a tad more edible.

On the wealthier hand, Chilli sin Carne is far from without. Using the same jar and same rice but substituting the meat with Mexican mixed beans for around 48p you can have a healthier, Mixed-Bean Chilli for half the price of the meaty, money-waster.

5.      Your Peace of Mind!

Probably one of the most important reasons to challenge yourself to leave the meat for one day a week is simply: to prove to yourself that you can! You’ll feel healthier, have more money (perhaps for a cheeky night-out?) and you’ll feel like an eco-warrior, it doesn’t get much better than that! 

.
English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland