5 Reasons Why Us Girls Would Love To Be Shakira

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Her looks

The hair, the skin, the eyes, the body – Shakira has everything and we’re super jealous of all of it! Her lioness-like mane is constantly in the media (how does it stay so glossy?!), whilst her winning combination of sun-kissed South American skin and transfixing chestnut eyes is b-e-a-utiful!

Shakira follows a strict exercise regime and as you can see, it has excellent results – after all, her hips don’t lie! So ladies, here’s how to get Shakira’s perfect body:

• Zumba! Shakira does an hour of Zumba 4-5 times a week, this can burn up to 1,000 calories an hour.
  • Crunches, it’s time to face up to the exercise demon and complete that Crunches challenge you set yourself at the beginning of the year. Shakira does up to 5 minutes of pure crunches every day, a sure way to a toned stomach!
  • 8 small meals a day, Shakira swears by this dieting technique which focuses on protein, calcium, iron and fish oil to build up muscle. With each meal consisting of 200-250 calories each, this programme enables you to track how many calories you are consuming whilst ensuring you are still full of energy for those intense Zumba sessions.
  • Most importantly, think positively: “I don’t obsess over my flaws, because I see my body as a whole,” Shakira says. “Besides, I think men appreciate confidence more than perfection.”

Make-up wise, Shakira likes to keep it au naturel. She likes to use Tarte foundation as it’s oil-free, waterproof and doesn’t have any unnecessary ingredients.

“I don’t put it all over my face—just in certain areas.”

Shakira also loves Origins Pinch Your Cheeks, it’s water-based ensuring no clogged pores – a rosy glow in no time! She sticks to a little mascara, although sometimes she just curls her eyelashes and doesn’t wear mascara at all.

Shakira’s wardrobe is heavenly, you can often find her with Stella McCartney or Louis Vitton accessories, in Versace or Furne One garments and wearing Yves Saint Laurent or Jimmy Choo shoes. [pagebreak]

Her family

Cutest family photo ever right?! Shakira has been dating one of the most successful (and not to mention good-looking) Spanish footballers, Gerard Piqué, since spring 2010 when Piqué appeared in the music video for Shakira’s song “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)“. This cute couple became even more perfect in January last year when they welcomed their son, Milan, into the world. Shakira regularly tweets adorable pictures of the three of them enjoying some quality family time together- awwww!

[pagebreak]

Her talent

Shakira is one multi-tasking lady! She’s sold 75 million albums, won 2 Grammy Awards and 8 Latin Grammy Awards, was awarded Best International Pop Artist of the Year in 2009 and her song ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ became the highest-selling single of the 21st century. And this is just in her music career!

She has also had many TV appearances; including guest starring in Ugly Betty, Saturday Night Live and coaching on The Voice US seasons 4 and 6.

Shakira is of course well-known for her outstanding ability to shake that b o o t y! She popularized the art of belly-dancing and continues to showcase her bootylicious talents, as displayed in her latest music video ‘Can’t Remember to Forget You’ ft. Rihanna (currently in the UK’s top 20)

[pagebreak]

Her contacts

Wow, I’d love to have access to Shakira’s phone book, wouldn’t you?! Close friends with Beyoncé, duets with Rihanna, as well as Akon, Lil Wayne and Flo Rida on speed dial – it seems everyone is keen to hang out with Columbia’s beachy goddess. Shakira has also stayed grounded despite her international fame, as she is often spotted out shopping with her friends from back home. With so many people to spread her time between, I don’t know how she does it! I found moving 4 hours away from home difficult enough to keep in contact with everyone when I came to university, never mind staying in contact with friends all over the world.  [pagebreak]

Her generosity

Shakira ranked at number 48 on the list of Top 50 Most Charitable Celebrities by OK! magazine and is reported to donate $55,000 to charity yearly. Her biggest charitable achievement came in 1997 when she founded the Pies Descalzos Foundation (Barefoot Foundation). This charity helps to build special schools for poor children all around Colombia. Shakira is also a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, standing as one of their global representatives.

“Shakira, like all our Goodwill Ambassadors, was chosen based on her compassion, her involvement in global issues, her deep commitment to helping children, and her appeal to young people around the world.”

Basically, Shakira why are we not you?!

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland