Style > Beauty

5 Must-Have Cruelty-Free Makeup Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Over the past few years more and more makeup brands have been turning cruelty-free, meaning they don’t test their products on animals. Now, some of the best cosmetics brands are not only cruelty-free but are also relatively affordable. I’ve put together a list of some of the best cruelty-free products I’ve tried, so you can work your look guilt-free knowing no animals were harmed.

Urban Decay Naked Palettes (£25.50-£39.50)

If you haven’t already heard of Urban Decay’s Naked collection, then listen up. These palettes are always useful no matter what look you’re going for, whether it be natural or all-out. My recommendations would be the Naked original 12 shade palette, the Naked Basics 6 shade palette, and the latest release, the Naked HEAT palette for a bold, fiery look everyone can pull off.  

(Image: allure.com)

Tarte Chrome Paint Shadow Pot (£19)

This is a pigment that comes in 6 shades to suit whatever your highlight preference is. It can be used for almost anything to create a blinding highlight. You can use it as an eyeshadow, highlight and even put it on over your favourite lipstick to jazz things up. It seems pricey for a small pot, but a little goes a very long way. This is one of the most strongly pigmented products I have ever used and can’t go for a night out without it!

(Image: static.pixlee.com)

(Image: tartecosmetics.com)

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (£6)

This is one of the few matte lip creams that literally feels like you’re not wearing anything at all. It feels light and has amazing coverage that doesn’t leave any streaky see-through colour. My personal favourites are the shades Copenhagen and Stockholm.

(Image: hermo.my)

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner (£16)

If you’re like me and putting on eyeliner always seems to end in frustration after 15 attempts, then this is exactly what you need. This eyeliner has a neat, felt tip-like nib that means you can be precise with your application. And when you make the inevitable mistake of rubbing your eyes there’s no need to worry as it is fully smudge proof, so no more panda eyes! If you need any more convincing, the queen of the cat eye, Alexa Chung, swears by it.

(Image: eyeko.com)

LUSH ‘Citrus are doing it for themselves’ Bubbleroon (£4.75)

Not technically makeup but I couldn’t talk cruelty-free without mentioning LUSH. Having just brought out a range of new products for Easter I gave this macaroon-shaped bath bomb a go. I tend to only use half the bath bomb as a whole one can be a little overpowering. The citrus scents of grapefruit and lemon make for a refreshing bath that will have you smelling incredible for days. 

(Image: cloudinary.com)

NARS products- no longer cruelty-free!

Finally, a quick message to those that buy NARS products. NARS have recently decided to begin selling to China, meaning that by law they must test their products on animals in order to sell these products there. So, if you’re very strict on principle when it comes to animal testing then this might be something to consider before buying from them again. Source.

To search for more cruelty-free brands, visit www.crueltyfreekitty.com

Maddy is a third year Lancaster student graduating in 2019. Her favourite writing topics range from university life to articles just to make you smile. This 2018/19 academic year Maddy has taken over as a social media officer, so keep a look out for her regular posts on the chapter's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date!