5 Fab Ideas for Wintery Nights-In!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

When it’s cold and rainy and you don’t feel like going out and getting drenched, you can still have fun indoors. Take a look at 5 creative (and perhaps slightly unpredictable) ideas to pass the time!

1. The not-so-fun notion of studying

Not the most exciting idea BUT! You’re choosing to study, meaning that it isn’t a cram session, so… transform you work into your creative muse and draw mind-maps and posters, make anagrams and rhymes to help you remember things; or try reading a book out-loud in a different accent every page or chapter. This way, you get all the stalling methods of procrastination out of your system, so when it comes to the cram session, you’ve already got the basic ideas in your head- and the sillier the method, the more you remember!

But, if you’re exhausted from lectures, or simply can’t face another piece of work- chill out, there are a host of other, non-academic ideas!

2. Sleepover!

This idea is aimed mainly at girls, but guys, why not give it a try too?  You can plan the most typical sleepover ever- popcorn, scary film and getting in pj’s! Inviting your friends over stops you spending the wintery night in ICE-olation (I’m sorry, but it had to be done).

3. Play Cards!

With this idea you can play it safe with the standard Blackjack, Chase the Ace etc. Or… turn it up a notch, and play poker! If you don’t know how to play, get someone who does to come and teach you. Sure they may have to bear a ten minute walk in torrential rain, but they’ll be rewarded with friendly competition. Besides- who doesn’t love feeling like they’re in Casino Royale, whilst also, possibly, in pyjamas surrounded by junk-food? One of the most under-rated card games among students, I think, is snap. Now, hear me out, I thought the same, ‘how is Snap going to be fun for such a grown-up and sophisticated creature such as my studenty-self?’ Play it. Just try it out and you will see all social order fly out of the window in minutes. It is probably the most passionate you will ever get regarding two number 4’s on top of each other.

Warning: Screaming and flailing in front of potential future boyfriends and best-friends may occur.

4. Get Board Games!

Sticking with the unexpected and possibly childish ideas, board games are hilarious with a group of people. Plus, if you feel like making the games more interesting, introduce the alcohol! Every time you land on someone’s property in Monopoly- DRINK! Bankrupt? DOWN! You’ll be a Monopoly Tycoon in no time, or at least, you’ll think you are (and that’s all that counts).

5. Get Organised!

If you instead fancy being a hermit crab in your wintery shell that’s fine too! Why not get in your snowflake onesie and start getting organised for Christmas! Sort out your finances and plan a budget- how closely you stick to said budget will become a test of will-power and student poverty. Next? Write your Christmas card list and start writing them out or, if you’re a closet-crafter with some card-making materials, get making your own cards! After that get some present ideas for closer friends and family and, if you’ve got the money, you can get some presents, big or small, main presents or stocking-fillers online, as most come with free delivery!

You’ll pass the time, have more of an understanding of your finances and feel more organised!

.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!