5 Essential Autumn/Winter ’14 trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

A month into another year at university and the routine look into your wardrobe to discover that you have nothing suited for the cooler season has no doubt started to irritate you. Or is it that with the combination of the tight student budget? Either way, this will be a saviour to you and your bank balance, as let me introduce to you the latest fashion must- haves! 

1. Gilets

You may think it’s unthinkable to buy something sleeveless in winter never mind wear it, but gilets are surprisingly warm! This season, opt for a faux fur gillet to ensure that you stay on trend. These can be found all over the high street, but as it is a statement item, maybe stretch your budget over to Topshop. It is rather pricy at £65 (don’t forget you have student discount!) but you can team this with a pair of jeans in the day or a long sleeved dress at night. Get the best of both worlds.

(Topshop Luxe Boxy Fur Gilet – £65)                                   

2. Roll necks

Now it’s time for something a lot warmer; the classic roll neck. These are clearing the shop floor faster than they’re hitting them, so grab one before it’s too late, as not only will this keep you warm, it will also keep your outfit on trend from channelling those 60s vibes! This piece of clothing doesn’t have to be an expensive one. Primark are stocking this style of top with long sleeves at an affordable price of £4 and as they come in a variety of colours, you will be sure to find one to complete your look. It’s such a simple, basic piece to have in your wardrobe that provides an effortless yet stylish finish to your outfit.  You can also find roll necks in the form of thick jumpers, dresses, short-sleeved tops – take your pick!

(Matalan Roll Neck Jumper – £24)

3.       Ripped jeans

Ever wanted that I’ve-tried-so-hard-to-make-it-look-like-I-don’t-care look? Think: Cara Delevingne. Ripped jeans come in all shapes and sizes from skinny to boyfriend and high waisted to cropped, so there’s no excuse not to jump on this bandwagon! My favourites are these, and they are distressed to perfection:

(Topshop MOTO Authentic Ripped Skinny Jeans – £45)               

4.       Blanket scarves

Here at Lancaster, we just can’t get enough of scarves (usually because it’s freezing here, but nevertheless we love ’em)! Blanket scarves are the new take on the usual neck accessory, and these do the job of keeping you warm. They can also double up into a cape/shawl to channel your inner festival-chic. Key phrase here: the BIGGER, the better.

We love reversible scarves, which add a pop of colour into your outfit!

(River Island Double Sided Tartan Blanket Scarf – £18)                

5.       Pointed toes

Once upon a time ANY shoes with pointed toes would have just been too garish for me to wear. In fact, I’d cringe any time I saw a pointed toe. And now I feel like the biggest hypocrite ever because I have just fallen in love with them, they’re so on point (ha… ha).

(River Island Avery Pointed Toe Boots – £45)

Well hello there, pretty shoe. River Island have ticked all the boxes for us with these boots; a suede-look chelsea boot, with a chunky heel and a pointed toe. What more could we ask for?! These, although on the pricier side, would be such a staple piece for any wardrobe and could be worn with jeans and tapered trousers or even dresses and jumpsuits. They are super classy, but with an edge. That’s what we want.

(Zara Pointed Ballerina with Bow – £29.99)

These Zara beauties take the classic ballet flat to a-whole-other level! The cross-over straps and two-tone front just completely revamp the look and they do look more expensive than they are. I, myself, own an embellished pair of Zara flats – that get so many compliments by the way – which I wear with skinny jeans and patterned trousers, so don’t be put off by the metallic colour of these! You can dress them down and they will MAKE your outfit.

And if that wasn’t enough to persuade you, pointed shoes make your legs look longer… I mean, who wouldn’t want that?!

I'm Lauren Collier. I'm nineteen years old and I'm a second year English Language in the Media undergraduate. I'm a social media enthusiast, blogger and obsessed with living a healthy lifestyle!Email: lauren-collier@hotmail.co.ukInstagram: www.instagram.com/laurenlcollierTwitter: www.twitter.com/laurenlcollier
My name is Hannah Hobson and I am currently studying English Language at Lancaster University with an ambition to become a fashion journalist.