4 Things You Didn’t Know About Italian Food: The Food Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I am 100% Italian. I’ve been taught the right sauce to put on each type of pasta and have been brought up with sizzling hot pizzas. I have also had the opportunity to see what other countries and cultures believe Italian food is all about. Wrong misconceptions? More like deadly sins for us inhabitants of the European peninsula. So, I’m looking forward to educating your tastebuds on The Food Blog this week!

1. Get the pasta right

Let’s start by talking about the universally common spelling mistakes. “Linguini” are actually linguine, “fettucini” are fettuccine and “macaroni” are maccheroni, and we definitely don’t put melted cheese on them. I’m sure you’re all familiar with Spaghetti Bolognaise. This doesn’t actually exist in Italy! Pasta and meatballs should never go together, even if you’ve seen it in “Lady and the Tramp”: the scene may be romantic, but the meal is all wrong. To be completely honest, no pasta should be accompanied by any kind of meat. Pasta and chicken? Really? The only meaty sauce you’re allowed is ragù, made with minced beef, chopped carrots, onions and tomato sauce. Pasta al ragù it is!

2. The real Italian pizza

Whoever thought that pizza with pineapple was the way to go has gotten it all wrong. Pepperoni? If you request a pizza with that topping in Italy you’re going to be served a pizza topped with bell pepper. If what you wanted was pizza with salame (no, not “salami”) then ask for pizza alla diavola… Dinner is served.

3. Never a table for one

It’s tradition. Italian food is prepared in great quantities and may take hours to cook, this is why Italians never eat alone. Having dinner or lunch all together is seen as a way in which the family can come together as one and share stories and experiences. There is an abundance of food and sharing it with one another is what makes this Mediterranean cuisine so special. Enjoy!

4. Cappuccinos before 11

I’ve seen so many people sipping a cappuccino after lunch or before dinner and quite frankly I just don’t get it. Cappuccinos are meant for the morning, accompanied by a brioche (croissant) or by a cream-filled pastry. If what you’re looking for is something after lunch or dinner then go with an espresso. Short, strong, black coffee is the perfect “full stop” to your meal full of commas.   

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx