This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1.      Remove your make up!

My number one beauty mantra has always been ‘your make up is only ever as good as the skin underneath it’. Removing your make up every day and ensuring that you have done the job thoroughly is paramount for great skin. This makes sure skin can breathe and regenerate itself during the night whilst you sleep. Sure, I’ve come home from a heavy night out and passed on my normal make up removal regime, but in summer I forbid you to skip it out! Acne, and spots in general have the potential to get worse as the weather gets hotter. Excess heat and humidity increase sweat production, which means more oil will clog pores. Also, sun cream can aggravate the skin, which is why many dermatologists recommend oil-free varieties for patients prone to acne flare-ups. And whilst you might think air-con is a gift sent from heaven during the sweaty season, it really dries out skin.  Summer weather is a lose-lose for skin- but ensuring you 100% remove all your make up will definitely help! Get stocking up on simple face wipes for next year girls- you’ll need them!

2.      Barefaced

Go natural! No one expects you to wear a full face of make up in 30-something degree heat, so don’t! Giving your skin a break from make up is a brilliant idea. Leaving your face natural will allow you to try out Evian’s face spray which is the perfect freshen-upper for all skin types! Take this opportunity and better your skin by leaving it natural- many people even say that the vitamin D in sunlight improves skin. Guaranteed you’ll look like a clear-skinned goddess at London Heathrow baggage reclaim!

3.      Goodbye nail polish

Forget the effort of a French manicure, it’s all about the sand and sea! These are the best natural nail whiteners on the market. I challenged myself to leave my toes completely free of nail polish for the whole of summer- what I didn’t realise was that the condition of my nails improved significantly! Sand exfoliates the nail, leaving them super neat and shiny, whilst the sea acts as a natural whitener. My nails looked so healthy and I haven’t worn nail polish on my toes since because they’re still in such good condition!

4.      Use up those magazine samples

Anyone else a beauty samples hoarder? I’ve probably got more make up and beauty products sealed in cute sample packets than I have actual make up. What better way to test them out on holiday (especially a family holiday, when a foundation that you thought was your shade turns you into an orangutan or TOWIE extra)?! This trick saves on bag weight too, more space for all those bikinis and maxi skirts which really are essential! No doubt the flight home won’t be quite as depressing as normal with you planning which beauty products to purchase in the Duty Free! 

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland  
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!