This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

The holidays have ended. Term has well and truly begun. It’s time for the work to start piling up again. This means it’s time to start thinking of different ways to chill out. Especially ways that aren’t looking at a laptop screen. 

So why not try reading some of these graphic novels? Beautiful artwork, accessible and filled with great stories. They’re a great way to chill out without feeling like you’re doing too much!

‘Relish: My Life in The Kitchen’ by Lucy Knisley

This is the perfect book for any mood, any day, any time. Lucy Knisley will charm you with her colourful artwork and gripping storytelling. Relish: My Life in the Kitchen follows Lucy Knisley’s youth, in all aspects of the culinary world. Not to mention, each chapter ends with a cute recipe!

‘Spinning’ by Tillie Walden

This graphic memoir is the perfect mix of beautiful artwork and a gripping story. Following Tillie Walden’s childhood to adolescence, you will be pulled into her world of ice skating, navigating all the trials and tribulations of her youth. Spinning will be something you will not be able to put down.

‘Persepolis’ – Marjane Satrapi

Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis is a captivating story filled with tragedy and humour. This unique graphic memoir will take you on a journey through culture and life behind closed doors. Honest, raw and enlightening, Persepolis is a perfect read.

Currently a 3rd (and final!) year English Literature and Creative Writing student at Lancaster University.