This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I think it’s fair to say that perhaps the number one cause of flat arguments is the state of the sink, or by the fact that no one has unloaded the dishwasher for days. As angry as it can make you, everyone is guilty of forgetting to wash up now and again- some people again and again.

These recipes take a little longer than piercing the plastic and microwaving for three minutes or unscrewing a jar. Perfect if you need to send your parents a picture to prove you have eaten a vegetable since coming to uni.

Thai Red Curry

·         1 chicken breast

·         Vegetables of choice (peppers and onions are fine, or grab a mixed veg stir fry pack)

·         1 big tablespoon of Thai red curry paste

·         Half can of coconut milk or half a carton of coconut cream (Sainsbury’s does 2 for £3 on these base items)

·         Half a chili cut up or a pinch of dried flakes (if you like a kick)

·         Pack of microwaveable rice (50p in Sainsbury’s and doesn’t involve the rice stuck to the bottom of the pan fiasco)

This recipe is so easy yet so tasty it hurts, especially if you put too much chili in like I often do…

Cut the chicken, vegetables and chili and fry in the pan until it’s all cooked. Pour in the coconut cream or milk, and a generous tablespoon of curry paste. Mix together and cover to simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes. Microwave your rice then serve with the curry. Proceed to eat then put off washing up your one pan. 

Sausage and Tomato Pasta

Okay so this is two pans but how much cleaning does a pan that cooked pasta really involve? I stole this recipe from my Dad and it’s a prime example of ‘hmm what have I got in my fridge that needs using and means I don’t have to buy anything else…?’

·         Can of chopped tomatoes

·         A couple of sausages

·         Chopped bacon (not essential but why not?)

·         Any veg you might want to use up, onions or peppers etc.

·         Some form of Italian seasoning (e.g. basil/oregano you can get ‘Mixed Italian herbs’ from Sainsbury’s for £1ish)

·         Garlic

·         Pasta or Spaghetti

Cut the sausages into little disks and the bacon into small pieces. Fry in a pan until cooked and drain excess oil, then add the garlic and veg for a little while. Pour in the tomatoes and the seasoning and leave to simmer for at least 15 minutes on a low heat. Cook the pasta then mix with the tomato mixture, salt and pepper to taste. Like many things, this recipe would benefit from a sprinkling/smothering of cheese. 

Mini Roast for one

This is a taste of home and means you can use up all the random half-vegetables you have left over.

·         Chicken breast/leg

·         Selection of vegetables, e.g. potatoes, onions, peppers, courgette etc.

·         Oil

·         Salt & pepper

Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Roughly chop the vegetables and toss them in oil and seasoning. Place in a baking tray and cook for about 20-30 minutes. Take them out and shake them around the place. Then place the seasoned chicken in the tray and cook for a further 20 mins. Voila, a mini roast for one that isn’t at all tragic…

Isla Philo

Lancaster

Lancaster University, 3rd year student
English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland