This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

The Bachelorette Season 17 is right around the corner! The cast and crew have already begun filming and it looks like it will be a season like no other! If you are on the fence about watching, allow me to convince you to spend your May through July with ABC! Here are the top reasons to be counting down the days until the premiere:

1. Katie Thurston, newly announced lead of Season 17, was the tenth runner up on her season, making her the first Bachelorette eliminated more than one week before hometowns. This is exciting because we know there is still so much of Katie’s story we haven’t heard yet and she won’t be overly heartbroken to the point where her season revolves around getting over The Bachelor.

2. Katie is also our first Tik Tok Bachelorette! Sheposts witty, up-to-date, and fun videos all the time and we know from these that she will always say exactly what is on her mind and heart.

3. Much like co-host Kaitlyn Bristowe, Katie has always been open with her sexuality, which is rare in a Bachelorette but so important to de-stigmatize, and is always open with her opinions like when she consistently called out bullying throughout her season.

4. Speaking of the hosts, this is the first season ever, in a franchise that has run for twenty years, where Chris Harrison will not be hosting. Harrison defended contestant Rachael Kirkconell for previous racist actions, and, in the process, made very racist remarks to the interviewer and former Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay. As a result, Harrison will be taking a backseat while he does work to educate himself. Maybe one day he will return to the franchise. 

5. In the meantime, our hosts for season 17 are arguably two of the best bachelorettes of all time! Kaitlyn Bristowe broke so many barriers during her season, always spoke her mind, is now in a very successful relationship with Jason Tartick (of Bachelorette season 14), and recently won Dancing with the Stars. Tayshia Adams, the most recent Bachelorette, had one of the most authentic, genuine, and heartwarming seasons, stepped in at the last minute to replace Clare Crawley, and got engaged in one of the most heartfelt and beautiful proposals ever to grace our television screens. Bristowe and Adams will no doubt bring a fresh flair, great perspective as former leads, and tons of charisma!

6. If you watched Clare and Tayshia’s season, you remember that the La Quinta Inn did not have the most to offer, but Matt James’ Nemacolin Resort offered significantly more date possibilities. This season’s Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa near Albuquerque, New Mexico, should be even grander and have more exciting date locations! 

7. This season is the last before the super-sized Bachelor in Paradise! Paradise has never had four seasons of cast members to choose from, meaning this year should bring unprecedented levels of drama and romance.

8. Let’s face it: the past few seasons of The Bachelor have been draining, dramatic, and frankly depressing, but the last few seasons of The Bachelorette have been bold, beautiful, and breathtaking, this season will for sure rank right up there with the likes of Tayshia Adams and Hannah Brown!

9. There have been fewer bachelorettes than bachelors so Bachelor 17 was quite a while ago, but it stands out as being the best season in many people’s minds, many because its star, Sean Lowe, is the only bachelor who is still with his final pick. So, hopefully, that season 17 magic will rub off on this season!

10. Katie, aged 30, will have older guys cast for her season, which means there will be less drama, more real connections, and overall a season just like the last which centered around difficult but provocative conversations on each date.

This season will absolutely bring the heat, most likely have us rooting for the couple at the end, and, at the end of the day,  will be a fun distraction to look forward to and fill our Monday nights!

Lisa Green

Lafayette '24

Hi, I'm Lisa and I'm a freshman at Lafayette. I'm interested in theater, politics, cooking and more!
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College