This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

“Would you like to play a game, Tara?,” are the chilling words that open the newly released trailer for the fifth installment of the Scream franchise, coming out in January 2022. Since 1996, Scream has been a smash hit success in the horror genre, and it has continued to captivate new generations discovering it. It’s been ten years since the last movie of the franchise was released, so anticipation for the fifth movie has been around a while. Although, fittingly, and cleverly, the new movie is just named Scream as a nod to its origins, and the cult following that surrounds that singular title.

What has made this franchise sustain itself so long?

Well, as a major fan of it, I could give you a whole list of reasons. Primarily, however, the success lies in the exquisite directing of Wes Craven and the screenwriting of Kevin Williamson. The first movie drips with a self-awareness of the horror genre. It’s very “meta” in that way, both accepting and critiquing other scary movies throughout the course of the movies, referencing classics like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street. This had never been done before in the genre, mid-90s, so it resonated heavily with audiences in eliciting a thrilling connection to the characters and plot. It also heavily revitalized the horror genre, since at this time, there wasn’t a lot “new” produced within it. There is plentiful humor, but such that it twists in an unpleasant way, reminding you of the severity of what is happening within the story.

The opening sequence in the first movie is definitive of a particular, bone-chilling tone following Drew Barrymore’s character, Casey, as she has a conversation with a mysterious, anonymous phone caller. There was, in fact, an uptick after the movie’s release of people across the nation adding caller ID to their landline phones. It was also an opening scene that was prominent in its impact on the connection audiences had to Barrymore’s image, and their expectations of what role Casey’s character would play in the film were turned on their head when the scene concluded. There’s not much more I can say without spoiling anything, but seriously, it’s just cinema at its finest (and Drew Barrymore was robbed of an Oscar nomination and win for this scene alone).

If you aren’t familiar with the premise of these movies, it goes roughly as follows: an anonymous killer, known as Ghostface, brings horror and fear to the town of Woodsboro, California. We follow a young, high school student named Sidney Prescott, who has had her own twist of unfortunate events and murders, with her mother’s murder only a year prior to this new grouping of phone calls and murders. Other characters, consisting of Sidney’s boyfriend, Billy, and friends, Tatum, Stu, and Randy try to navigate the horrifying circumstances they find themselves in. An eccentric cop, Dewey, and overzealous news reporter, Gale Weathers, dig their way into the picture too, as everyone tries to escape the horror while getting to the bottom of it. Suspenseful and chilling in all the right ways, the first installment sets off a franchise that remains sought after and living up to its characters and origin.

A horror film plot has to keep you interested, as much as the characters do. It’s a fantastic cast, from Neve Campbell, Skeet Ulrich, to Courteney Cox, and the performances deliver fully. The characters are relatable, as they have similar knowledge and perspectives as any one of us might have in this situation, and as an audience, you find yourself sucked into the idea of who will survive. 

I have rewatched the original movie and sequels too much at this point, but every time I do, I find something new to analyze or make a connection to, understanding the simple but complex and beautiful intricacies of this world and character-building Wes Craven so masterfully intends. It’s exhilarating, and it never is boring with all the ways it makes you consider the genre of horror itself.

Of course, I am beyond excited to see what the fifth installment brings. The trailer is especially promising, with its dark tone overall, and I have faith it is in good hands with new directors, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, and they will deliver that suspense that is uniquely defined and a part of this franchise.

The Scream franchise is, ultimately, bloody brilliant. It goes beyond expectations and is just a true classic. I’m not even the biggest fan of horror in general, but I have found a love and comfortability in what this franchise offers me as a viewer, so much so I keep coming back every Halloween season.

So, do you like scary movies? Scream is certainly calling your name if so, and I cannot encourage you enough to watch it if you haven’t yet. Revel in the cinematic excellence of it, and be sure to get your scream on in anticipation for the fifth (but definitely watch them in order if you haven’t seen them!).

Emily Mackin

Lafayette '24

an admirer of all things that make life beautiful