This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

During quarantine, I picked up many new skills — and by that I mean I tried to — it didn’t always go as planned (I’m looking at you, failed pumpkin bread recipe.) Nevertheless, one of my favorite new hobbies is embroidering, and I’m here to convince you that it should be yours, too. Here’s why:

You don’t need to be a sewing master

All those intricate designs people embroider can be intimidating, but you actually only need to learn a few simple stitches to make countless beautiful pieces. I have almost zero sewing experience, and I was able to pick up stitches relatively quickly, so if I can do it, so can you! You can even make some stunning art with just a simple running stitch. 

They make great gifts

I cannot stress enough how amazing embroidery can be as a gift for family, friends, or a partner. Embroidering clothes like a shirt, sweatshirt, or denim makes for a truly personalized, special present. You can also leave your embroidery in its hoop to be hung as wall art. My best friend (who I got into embroidery!) sewed a picture of us together at the beach, and it might be my favorite gift I’ve ever received. It would be so fun to send your bestie a surprise present while we’re all scattered across the world during this virtual semester.

You can revamp your old clothes

If you take a deep dive into the dark corners of your closet, I bet you could find some old pieces you don’t wear anymore that would be perfect for reviving with embroidery! You don’t have to buy anything – just work with what you’ve got. Then you’ll have something “new” and cute to wear, even if it’s just for your next Zoom class.

It’s soothing!

Sitting down to listen to my favorite podcast or watch a show while embroidering is extremely relaxing (unless you get a knot in your thread, in which case…not so much). But I digress. Once you get the hang of it — and you will probably catch on very quickly — embroidering can be really fun, and it’s nice to feel like you’ve accomplished something when you haven’t even left your house for a couple of days or put on real pants (Jeans? Don’t know her). Plus, screen fatigue is real, and this can be a creative way to take a much-needed break from your devices.

All you need to start is some thread like the kind you’d use for a friendship bracelet, a needle, and a hoop. Of course, Pinterest and YouTube are great resources for inspiration and tutorials. My own versions of the designs may not come out quite as good, but close enough for me. I hope you decide to try out embroidery; it’s been an amazing creative outlet for me, and it could be for you, too! 

Emily Tesbir

Lafayette '24

first-year at lafayette
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College