This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

I am, and always will be, a short girl. Despite occasionally being used as an armrest, having my friends tower over me, and being referred to as “fun-sized,” I have realized that being short isn’t all that bad. There are some pretty underrated advantages of being short that I would like to acknowledge: short girls, this one’s for you.

1. You can wear heels without worrying about being too tall. You don’t even have to think twice about being taller than those around you wherever you are going. You can just rock the heels you’re in! 
  2. Not only can you wear heels, but platform shoes of any kind can work for you. My favorite pair of shoes *ever* are my Fila Disruptors. Little do people know that when I am wearing these, they are giving me a little bit of height! 
  3. It is easy to find a partner who is taller than you. This expands the number of ~options~ you have if this is something you are looking for.  
  4. You always get to be in the front of a group picture with your friends. Basically: you get priority positioning because you need to be seen!
  5. You can wear your hair up as high as you would like to, and it will give the illusion of a few inches.
  6. You can cuff your jeans! Personally, the vast majority of my jeans are too long on me, so I cuff them, and as a result, my jeans look super fashionable.  
  7. You can fit into small spaces, or make yourself fit. I love to curl up in a comfy chair and not worry about my legs sticking out at awkward angles, for I can just make myself fit. 
  8. You always have an excuse to ask a cute guy/girl to get something off of the top shelf for you—wink wink. 
  9. Sometimes, you can wear super long shirts as a dress! Try putting a belt around your waist to give the shirt more of a dress shape. This is great if you are in a pinch and want an easy outfit.
  10. Worrying about legroom in a car or on an airplane is never an issue. Basically, you’ll never be crammed into a tiny airplane seat and have to be uncomfortable for hours on end. 

I could go on and on. However, I believe these ten just about sum it up. To all of my short girls out there: keep doing you. It turns out that being petite is not bad after all!

Rebecca Kane

Lafayette '23

Major: English Smoothie-holic. Keeping my dreams alive by hitting the snooze button. Open to any and all song recommendations.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College