Aubree Brabham?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Aubree Brabham?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What You Need to Know About Voting by Mail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

With COVID-19, many Americans have questioned how to cast their vote in the 2020 Presidential election. Some have become more cautious of their social interactions due to the pandemic, while others are simply not at the home which they are registered to vote. These are two different situations, but it is important to know how to get your vote counted either way. 

Absentee and Mail-in Ballots

Firstly, I would like to address people who have been displaced from their registered residence. I am one of those people. Last year I registered to vote in Pennsylvania because I felt that my vote would count more in the swing state. However, due to COVID-19, Lafayette College is remote this semester. This means that I am stuck in Connecticut, but I am still registered in Pennsylvania. Therefore, I am eligible to vote via absentee ballot. 

Mainly absentee voting is for people who know ahead of time that they will be out of state at the time of election or have an illness/disability that prevents them from attending their polling station. The rules and regulations regarding absentee voting vary from state to state. However, in ⅔ of states, you do not have to have an excuse to obtain an absentee ballot. To get an absentee ballot, you must request the ballot ahead of time. Again this varies from state to state, but in all states, you should be able to mail an approved form to your election office requesting a ballot. They will then review your request and send you back an absentee ballot. In Pennsylvania, you can request an absentee ballot online as long as you have a valid PA license or photo I.D. 

On the other hand, mail-In ballots are available to anyone without a reason. You must be registered to vote to obtain a mail-in ballot. Again similar to the absentee ballot, you must fill out an application to receive the mail-in ballot. 

In both absentee ballots and mail-in ballots be sure to fill out the ballot and follow your state’s regulations so that your vote is counted. In Pennsylvania and some other states, the ballot must be returned in a secrecy envelope inside the official envelope. You must also sign the declaration on the envelope and then send your ballot back to your election office as soon as possible so that you do not miss your state’s deadline. Visit the US Government website or your state’s government website to find more information on your specific situation. 

This seems pretty simple, right? Register to vote, request a ballot, receive a ballot, send the ballot back, and then your vote is counted. So why has voting by mail been such a hot topic? 

The Controversy

President Trump has been claiming that mail-in ballots will cause a rigged election. He tweeted in May, “There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent. Mail boxes will be robbed; ballots will be forged & even illegally printed out & fraudulently signed. The Governor of California is sending Ballots to millions of people, anyone…..” However, as Vice President Biden pointed out in the first debate, Trump is registered in Florida and has voted by mail himself. The hypocrisy of Trump’s actions and words alone indicate that his concerns of fraud via mail-in ballots are unwarranted. However, these statements have caused massive anxiety leading up to the election as more people than ever are looking to vote via mail due to the pandemic. Trump is creating such a hysteria that is intended to keep YOU from exercising your right to vote.

Despite these controversies, the data has shown that mail-in voting is no different and just as important as in-person voting. In the New York primary election, they saw 10 times the normal number of mail-in ballots, which indicates the expected increase in mail-in voting for the November election. Additionally, looking back at the 2016 Presidential election, the Washington Post review only found one case of proven voter fraud. Just make sure you dot all of your I’s and cross all of your T’s to make your vote count. 

Do Your Part

Now more than ever, your vote matters. Make sure you are prepared, informed, and proactive. If you can vote in person, do it. If you can’t vote in person, get a mail-in ballot, be prepared, vote early, and follow up with your county election office when waiting for any mail ballot or if you have any questions. 

To see your state’s Absentee Ballot deadlines visit vote.org

For more specific information, read this CNN article or visit the US Government website.

Take action and exercise your right to vote. It is the least you can do.

Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College