What happened when I stopped eating Dessert for two weeks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

This was honestly a traumatic experience for me to cut out my regular two cookies after every meal and lots of late night candies. Apart from the first week of torture, I would say that it changed so many things for me long term. Everyone rumours that if you cut something out of your diet or life for fourteen days it will no longer be a habit. It has now been six weeks since I did this experiment with myself and I am so grateful that I did it. I do eat dessert, however I no longer crave it, and definitely do not eat the same volume of cookies everyday. Before I cut out dessert, I was finishing a packet of cookies in two days. A packet of Oreos has forty-five cookies in it, that is an awful lot to be eating in two days.

The first week drove me crazy with sugar cravings and pure exhaustion without my main source of energy. Most days by the afternoon I was fast asleep on my bed, dead from the lack of sugar pushing me on. The cravings were worst at night, which is when, if I did break my goal, I would eat cookies. I must admit I gave into the cravings a few more times than I would have liked, but overall I followed my plan. My friends hid my sugary snacks from me, which was what helped me go fully sugar free. I loved the feeling of having a little something after dinner, so I started having an apple or a piece of toast to make me feel as tho I had had my dessert for the day. After I had gone two weeks without any dessert, I did not want it, or even think about it, but I decided to reintegrate it into my diet. Now I will have a cookie here or there, definitely not everyday or every meal. I no longer fall asleep at five PM from pure lack of energy, and I no longer have cravings for an entire box of cookies. One or two cookies satisfies me and it feels so good to not want much more than that.

I truly believe that everyone should try this when they fall themselves slipping into an unhealthy pattern with food. When in doubt, cut it out.

Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette